What's new

Pre-Order Dr. Strangelove Or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (4k UHD) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Scott is great AND so is Peter Sellers. But best of all is whoever they got to play Dr Strangelove! I wonder if the actor was really like that in real life. That sort of behaviour really can't be simulated. In Australia he'd get a disability allowance just for that right arm.
Um, you do realize that Peter Sellers played Dr. Stangelove?

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
You do realized that Anthony was being sarcastic?
Not sarcastic, droll. I especially like the part where in Australia they'd give Dr. Strangelove a disability allowance. In New York City, someone would contribute $500,000 to his campaign for mayor. I mean, everyone else is running. Why not Dr. Strangelove? The man has charisma, and name recognition, even if his arm is a little...well, flexible.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Edward Teller is almost just as amusing as Strangelove, albeit in a deadpan manner.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Not sarcastic, droll. I especially like the part where in Australia they'd give Dr. Strangelove a disability allowance. In New York City, someone would contribute $500,000 to his campaign for mayor. I mean, everyone else is running. Why not Dr. Strangelove? The man has charisma, and name recognition, even if his arm is a little...well, flexible.

Mayor Strangelove, that would be comedy gold.

Martin Dew

HTF News Editor
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Martin Dew
Wow - does this mean Lawrence of Arabia as a stand-alone release might be coming soon.....?
I'm sure it must mean this. Sony must have been inundated with requests for the individual titles from Columbia Classics Vol. One. They will have maximized their income from the box set, so now each film should make its way to the shelves.

Reactions: PMF

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I'm sure it must mean this. Sony must have been inundated with requests for the individual titles from Columbia Classics Vol. One. They will have maximized their income from the box set, so now each film should make its way to the shelves.

Especially given that the box set was a limited edition (8000 copies in the US; I haven't heard what the world-wide count was). That told us right off the bat that the included films would eventually get separate releases.

• Agreed
Reactions: PMF

Terry Hickey

Second Unit
Real Name
Terry Hickey
It's a dark comedy, but I love it. George Scott and Slim Pickens had some great lines. I was born in the early 50's and remember having to go through drills in case of nuclear fallout in school, plus the PSA of what to do in case of a
nuclear attack. Some of the well off people even built fallout shelters. The Soviet Union was viewed as a real threat during that time period of history and this movie kind of did what it said in it's title. Comedy is what makes real things easier to take. I've got it preordered.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Already having the boxed-set of Columbia Classics Volume One (and looking forward to seeing what Grover Crisp has in store for Volume 2), I still feel that consumers should not have to wait for an additional 12-18 months for their favored Stand-Alone titles. Heck, it’s almost like a form of elitism or punishment for their not wanting or being able to afford all 6 titles at once. IMHO, it is a pointless way of marketing

Be it boxed a set or a Stand-Alone title; all should be made available simultaneously and on the same day of release.

Last edited:

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Maximized their income? Since the box of 6 regularly sold for less than $100USD and likely had worldwide sales less than
20000 units b/w the US/CA/EU versions, I would be more than a little shocked that if they'd done 6 standalone releases, they would easily have outdone that (probably with 3 films). I'm quite sure the scalpers took in quite a bit more than Sony did by splitting up just a portion of the boxsets.

I was shocked to get the nice Outer Box, Hardbound book, 6 UHD Digitals, in addition to 6 movies with individual slipcovers for less the $80 at release.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Already having the boxed-set of Columbia Classics Volume One (and looking forward to seeing what Grover Crisp has in store for Volume 2), I still feel that consumers should not have to wait for an additional 12-18 months for their favored Stand-Alone titles. Heck, it’s almost like a form of elitism or punishment for their not wanting or being able to afford all 6 titles at once. IMHO, it is a pointless way of marketing

Be it boxed a set or a Stand-Alone title; all should be made available simultaneously and on the same day of release.
But then they probably wouldn't have shifted quite so many 4K UHD copies of Gandhi, would they now? ;)

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I was born in the early 50's and remember having to go through drills in case of nuclear fallout in school, plus the PSA of what to do in case of a
nuclear attack.

Just goes to show how poorly made furniture is nowadays. Back in the 50s/60s, a school desk could protect you from an atom bomb. Not so today.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Looking at those PSAs reminds me of a Roadrunner cartoon where Wile E would pull out a tiny umbrella to protect himself from the 10 ton Rock about to fall on him.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I remember there used to be an air Raid siren near the house I lived in as a kid. I remember when they finally dismantled it. I guess someone finally figured out that setting off an air raid siren to warn of a nuclear attack just amounted to telling people that they had thirty minutes left to live, so they took them out. That is the black humor explanation anyway. The real reason was they probably became too expensive to maintain and were functionally outdated.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks