What's new

Double layer blank DVDs? (1 Viewer)

Norris

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking for some blank DL discs. Very few selections out there right now AFAIK. And they all seem to be of the plus (+) type, my standalone DVD changer plays minus (-), and I don't know if it can play the plus version. Anybody knows why only the plus blanks are available now and not the minus? Cheapest I found is about $3.50/disc.

Thanks,

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
$3.50 US isn't bad. In Canada, the cheapest I found was $5 CDN per DVD+R DL disc (Memorex) at a Best Buy sale. Since then, however, prices have gone up and now they are $7 CDN for all brands - Memorex, CMC, and Verbatim.

You might want to look at videohelp.com for a list of the different brands of DVD+R DL media - I think so far that there are only 3 different manufacturers - Ritek, CMC, and Mitsubish? I can't remember.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I don't think they're making commercial -R DL discs. I remember reading something about techinical issues still being worked out - that was awhile ago, but I haven't seen anything more recent to contradict it, and nobody seems to be selling -Rs, so I suspect it is true.

Regards,

Joe

Norris

Stunt Coordinator
I found some that are "double sided". I assume when playing these discs, the player has to flip the disc over. Most of the commercial DVDs out there are double layered, not double sided, so no flipping is required. Am I correct? So when I record using a "double sided" disc, I'll have to eject the disc, turn it over, and insert again. Wonder how Nero takes care of that, while recording a long movie (about 8.5 Gig).

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
You would have to treat the double-sided discs as if they are two separate discs. You would have to remaster the DVD to fit a single dual-layer disc onto the two sides.

DVD-R DL discs are now available on sale. A local computer store has it:

http://www.memoryexpress.com/index.p...6011&SID=30791

Price is in Canadian dollars, and they don't deliver, but I'm sure you can find it online elsewhere.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
The double layer +R discs, are capable of booktyping to make them burn as a DVD Rom (as long as your burner supports booktyping), which makes it so it'll play in almost anything. There are several brands that support booktyping, including LiteOn.

Most people prefer the Verbatim DL discs. They say that the dye on the Memorex, starts to break down, and become unplayable after 3-6 months.

If you have a LiteOn burner, go here to learn how to booktype a disc.
http://www.k-probe.com/bitsetting-booktype-faq.php
Any other brand of burner, you can go here, and do a search for "BookTyping", and there should be a link somewhere in there, to a site that lists the brands that support it.
http://forums.afterdawn.com/
I've learned a lot at these places.
Good luck!
Keep us posted? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks