What's new

Double dipping on CDs due to retailer-specific exclusive tracks?! (1 Viewer)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(For context).

Nowadays I only really buy the cd disc versions where I am willing to devote my full attention to listening to it on my standalone stereo in the livingroom.

If I'm only just listening to something as "background noise", then the physical cd would be a complete waste. I can already do this by listening to it on youtube or a streaming sevice.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I've picked up a couple of the "bonus track" versions of albums over the years, but by and large the extra tracks are usually nothing special and seldom worth the extra effort needed to obtain them. There's usually a reason they were not included as part of the official album track listing.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I've picked up a couple of the "bonus track" versions of albums over the years, but by and large the extra tracks are usually nothing special and seldom worth the extra effort needed to obtain them. There's usually a reason they were not included as part of the official album track listing.

The only recent case of "previously unreleased" tracks which are not total shit and were very impressive to my ears, are the Taylor Swift re-recordings (so far).

Otherwise, I would agree that too many original "extra tracks" sounded like something which would have been lost "filler" tracks on side 2 of an album.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Back when CDs were in their heighday, I bought a bonus type disc for a Streisand and a Midler album. The bonus consisted of a disc with a CD on one side and a DVD on the other. These are slightly thicker, and got stuck when I tried to play them in the car. That is why this type was discontinued. I ended up burning the CD sides and storing them with my CDs, and storing the DVDs with my DVDs.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Back when CDs were in their heighday, I bought a bonus type disc for a Streisand and a Midler album. The bonus consisted of a disc with a CD on one side and a DVD on the other. These are slightly thicker, and got stuck when I tried to play them in the car. That is why this type was discontinued. I ended up burning the CD sides and storing them with my CDs, and storing the DVDs with my DVDs.

Sounds like a "dualdisc" release.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I didn't know about dualdisc at all back in the mid-2000s, until I came across some titles in a local dump bin around 2011 or 2012. It seemed like it was a last ditch effort, during/after dvd-audio and sacd were falling out of favor.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
For me in hindsight, dualdisc would have been ideal if it was primarily cd on one side, while the other side was dvd-audio on a single-layer dvd side.

The problem was that the dualdisc spec never officially mandated what had to be on the single-layer dvd side, via licensing and/or patents enforcement.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks