What's new

Donkey Konga-Any idea how this one did? (1 Viewer)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I finally got a chance to try this game for the first time over the weekend, and it's a LOT more fun than I expected. I'll have to try to track down a copy at some point after Christmas. The only real question now though, is whether there'll be anything else that will make use of the bongos. It appears that DK Jungle beat is going to be released over here, but what about a second Donkey Konga volume? There's a Japanese sequel, but there's been no word on whether it'll be released over here or not. All indications seem to be that it would depend on the first game's sales.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
April on Volume 2 for Donkey Konga, and Vol.3 was recently announced in Japan. This one surprised me too. I'd heard about it and blew it off, until I played it one night in GameStop. $50 poorer, I brought the game home, and proceeded to beat the crap out of the drums and my hands for several hours to the point it was a week before I could play the game again. This is a game that has to be played to be understood, hearing about it doesn't do it justice. I told my brother about it, and his first question was "You paid MONEY for this?" Then he tried it, and it all became clear.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Strange, but fun.

Reminds me of something stoners would play.

Anyways, this is definate party material. Great on 4 players. Not all that bad for single either.

My cousin (a teen girl) just loved this game. Played it all the way through. Played it with friends.

Even played it at a party.

Who knew?

It sure is interesting & different. I do notice something though. People go on and on complaining for different games that sort of spurt some life in. They get them, but then ignore them anyways because they dont give it a chance.

Oh well.

P.S. The Drums will be used for Jungle beat (which looks wild) as well as DK2 & 3 plus other unannounced titles.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member

Chris-where are you seing that date? There was an article on IGN that mentioned DK2 in a list of Nintendo releases for next year, but that's the only mention I can find. Has there been another confirmation of the title?

If there's going to be a second Konga (hopefully at a discount without the bongos) plus Jungle Beat, then I defeinitely have to pick this one up. In addition to being fun, it's the kind of game I can see picking up and playing later on for an hour or so.

Kind of curious to try the Japanese version now though. Space channel 5 sucked in English, but was funny as hell in Japanese. Something about not having any idea what the characters were saying made it better... Bongos with weird japanese pop music though? It'd be a great extra, that's for sure.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
I can't seem to track it down on any of the web's big three game sites (IGN, GameSpot, and GameSpy), but about a month or so ago Nintendo dropped a presss release confirming dates for most of their big titles for next year. Star Fox, Resident Evil 4, DK Jungle Beat, Splinter Cell 3 were all given exact dates, Zelda was just slated for 2005, and plenty of others were on there. With no further information, Donkey Konga 2 was in there for I believe an April release, although my memory could be bad. Either way, no specific date was given, and I may be wrong on the date, but I know for a fact that Nintendo put it in there, and given that it's already been released in Japan, I would assume that the version they were talking about was for here in the States.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I saw the same press release though, so heopfully nothing has changed since then...

Ah, there's the fault in your logic. Never assume anything that gets released in japan will get released here. :)

Actually, in all fairness, Nintendo has been pretty good about releasing Japanese stuff in North America-it just takes way too damn long. Sony is by far the worst offender (just look at the PSP launch difference) here. Why there's still the 2-6 month delay on releases though I can't understand. It was one thing when we had no idea what was being released overseas, but the internet changed everything.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Nope, you misunderstood me there Chris (man this is confusing, from one Chris to another :) ), I was saying that Donkey Konga 2 was slated for release in April. It had already been released in Japan, so they weren't talking about a Japanese release. Therefore, the release as mentioned applied to the US.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I have the Japanese releases of Donkey Konga 1 & 2... totally different song lists than the American version with anime, j-tv, japanese folk and j-pop songs, and video game themes (that I presume are in DK-us).

Kinda text-heavy, but an easy import :)

I'll be importing Jungle Beat and 3 as well.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Well, $70 poorer now, but I got my bongos! They're actually getting harder to track down-part of the reason I grabbed it now is that I'm not sure how much longer these will be around after Christmas. That's a lot of shelf space to dedicate to a strange music game.

Now the only question is whether Jungle beat and DK2 will be worth buying without the controller. Konga with the controller was 59.99, and the spare bongos were $39.99-does this mean that the other bongo games will be $20 on their own?

Rodrick

Second Unit
I had rented the game first b4 purchasing the bongos and game. Because the Bongos sold out fast with the game. You had to buy the 2 separately.
Wow you only paid $70? I'm gonna return the Bongos and game, and wait til they have a shipment of both items together. Separately the game was $50 and Bongos then was $40, then tax and gst.

Other than that the game sold very well. But wait til they ship the 2 together

Mario Party 6 with the microphone that game is really great.

I wonder what else the Microphone can be used for though?

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
I debated between this and Taiko Drum Master for PS2. I had played Donkey Konga before and liked it, but wanted to see what all the hoopla about Taiko was about. Taiko is a great fun game as well. Fans of Donkey Konga should give it a whirl.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks