What's new

Dolby PLII? (1 Viewer)

Johnny Ayala

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Sherwood 6108 receiver, and cannot figure out when DPLII is being used. I can get DD, and DTS signals from my DVD player just fine, and one a few digital cable channels. On other channels, it shows up on the reciever as both Digital, and Pro-logic. When it is in DD or DTS mode.it shows you that you are in that mode. Am I in DPLII when both lights are on? Also, if i am in the mode when both lights are on, if I switch to "stereo" the digital light will come on. Any ideas? Thanks.
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
I have two of the Sherwood RD6108 receivers and love them both. To answer your question, when you see both the Dolby Digital and ProLogicII indicators on that means that the source, either DVD or cable, is encoded in Dolby Digital Stereo or Dolby Surround. This will also happen if you play a VHS tape encoded in Dolby Surround. Analog stereo sources like regular stereo cable channels and tapes will only light up the ProLogicII display. ProLogicII will take ANY stereo source and convert it to 5.1 audio. PLII takes 4 channel Dolby Surround and decodes it also to 5.1 format. In any case, it looks like your receiver is functioning as it should.

Johnny Ayala

Stunt Coordinator
So you actually have a light telling you when DPLII is being used? I haven't seen anything like that, just both or one on.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Well, it isn't a light, it is an indicator right below the flourescent input indicator. The DD indicator is red, and the PLII is white, as is the DTS indicator. If both are being used as in the case of a Dolby Surround signal, both will glow. Both will glow with Dolby Surround because the signal is still digital but PLII is decoding it into a 5.1 format. If only a stereo source is detected only the white PLII indicator will light, such as with CDs or plain old Stereo HIFI VHS tapes. Look just below the Video1, Video2, etc., indicator on the display. When you switch to stereo and you are using a DD signal, as with a DVD, you are still going to get the red DD indicator since the signal is still digital.

Johnny Ayala

Stunt Coordinator
Thats what I thought but I wanted to make sure. I'm also very happy with the Sherwood. Thanks again Chuck. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks