What's new

dolby digital tv shows (1 Viewer)

Mike_Cat

Auditioning
I have a question in reference to tv shows in dolby digital. I have purchased a new receiver (non HD) that has dolby digital connection. I hooked all of this thru my receiver and I have watched some directv movies in dolby digital and the sound is great,

Will I be able to get regular tv shows in dolby digital when the tv guide indicates they are broadcasted in this signal. Or is this just available for HD receivers.

Thanks,

Mike

GregLee

Stunt Coordinator
You'll get Dolby digital with digital TV. It doesn't have to be HD. But if by "regular television" you mean analog over-the-air TV, then no, you won't get DD with that.

DD is not necessarily 5.1 channels, it can have just 2 channels or even be monophonic. Movies on TV may have Dolby Digital in the credits (which I think does generally mean 5.1 channels), but that doesn't mean the signal reaching you has 5.1 channels. Commonly, it won't. So don't expect too much.

SteveKNJ

Stunt Coordinator
I have DirecTV and outside of Some PPV channels and SOME of the Premium movie channels (2 of my 7 HBO channels have it), nothing else in is DD. Remember when stereo TV first came out and VERY few shows broadcast in stereo? I think that is where we are with DD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks