What's new

Dolby AAC vs. MP3 (1 Viewer)

ShaneH

Stunt Coordinator
http://www6.tomshardware.com/consume...s_creation_aac
"AAC (Advanced Audio Coding) is Dolby's offering to the music community. ACC intends to offer "up to 48 channels of audio, sample rates of up to 96 kHz, and can achieve ITU-R broadcast quality at 320Kbps for a 5.1-channel audio program," according to various press releases. Compared to MP3, it claims to be of higher quality, at roughly 30% less storage space and bandwidth. It has been standardized under the MPEG-2 specification.
As the time from AAC inception grows, so does the number of its supporters. Various software and hardware companies are jumping on the bandwagon to develop and manufacture products that support AAC. "
Sounds like a better format then mp3, I hope it finds enough support.

Adil M

Supporting Actor
Great, a compression format endorsed by the industry. I wonder if I'll have to pay rent to use it.:thumbsdown:

Han

Second Unit
-rant-
For the life of me, I can't get going with AAC! I've tried compiling the FAAC/FAAD code, which works. But then after running the app and converting a few wav files via different options, none of them play with the Winamp plug-in for MP4/AAC!
Next I tried Liquid Audio, which even with the purchased version won't give you the best options for AAC. That is the clunkiest most cumbersome player I've ever used. Moreso than the first RealJukebox. And still, it wouldn't play AAC files I've created with FAAC, only samples I've scoured the web for.
For a format that looks like the greatest thing, it sure isn't doing a very good job of gaining exposure or making it easy for people to use and get into.
-/rant-

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
If you guys want to check out a promising new codec check out Vorbis. It outperforms mp3 already. Plus it is an OPEN codec so the record industry will never control it.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I think that AAC is used more for Japanese TV or something. The last software upgrade for the Sony TA-E9000ES included it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks