What's new

Doing some reciever shopping.... (1 Viewer)

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
Hey all, I'm doing a little reciever "window shopping" possibly looking at upgrading the 5.1 reciever that came with my HTiB. I'm not looking at getting anything to expensive and plan on keeping the speakers that came with my HTiB. Right now as it stands the most I could afford for reciever is in the $300 range. The reciever needs to be 5.1 and have DTS. Any suggestions?

I did find this on the Bestbuy website. I Don't
know much about Yahmaha stuff, do they make good quality gear?

Meets all my needs perfectly but I don't think it will work with my speakers because they plug in through bare wire. Can someone clarify this for me? will this reciever work with my speakers?

Also I noticed that this reciever has component and S-Video inputs. I don't understand how this works. Does my Tv plug into there or can a DVD player just plug right into there and automatically use component or S-Video? can someone explain this to me?

Thanks.

Lee M T

Second Unit
Hello there,

Yamaha makes great stuff.

In my Yamaha manual it says you can hook up speakers with bare wire, but I had a hard time fitting mine through the plugs on the back. They wouldn't screw out far enough. But I just went to Radio Shack and bought some gold plated bannana plugs and stuck them on the ends that went to my receiver. Costs me like $10 for my front speakers or something I think. It's real easy to attatch the plugs to your speaker wire.

If you get the Yammie, enjoy. And if you have any specific questions I may be able to help, as well as any other Yammie owners here. :)

Jason.Soko

Stunt Coordinator
Keith whatever you do, only listen to what is at your budget, and find what you think sounds best. Stray elsewhere and you will find yourself overbudget VERY quickly. :D

Lee M T

Second Unit
I never did answer one of your other questions...the one about the different video connections on the receiver. The Yammie provides just about every video connection possible. You can use those connections at your discretion. If you're TV has componenet video inputs, then it might be to your benefit to use them. Run a comp video cable from the comp video output on your receiver to the comp video input on your TV. Then, you can start hooking your different video equipment to the back of the reciever. Be it a DVD player, VCR, PS2, Xbox, etc. You can hook these up however you like. Componant Video is the best (a must for digital/HDTV), S-Video is next best, and RCA's come in last place for picture quality.

I hope that helps a little. I probably am not the clearest info giver in the world. ha

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
Lee that clarifies a lot, thanks! a question about the banana plugs, I've heard of them but to be honest I'm not real sure what they are. What exactly are banana plugs and how do you use them? if I understand your post correctly they are something that connects to your bare wire and than connect into the reciever's binding post easier, am I correct? thanks.

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
If I was shopping in the $300 range, I would probably try to go for a refurb. receiver. That way you can get a nicer sounding receiver for the price of a cheaper one.
Thanks for the tip, that looks like a nice reciever. Is it safe to buy refurbed though? don't I have a greater chance of having the refurbed unit have problems than a new one?

Nick V

Second Unit
It's a tough call. If you looked at the warranty information on the site, Onkyo will give you a one year warranty on the product, and you can purchase an extended warranty for about $30/extra year.

I don't know if I would do it or not, but if you want really good performance from a $300 receiver, it's the only way to go about doing it IMO, or else buying used on www.audiogon.com with no warranty.

Kevin Parker

Stunt Coordinator
I would suggest to add pioneer 912k to demo for this price range, no other receiver have more features than this in its price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks