What's new

Does Warner Bros Need New Management? (1 Viewer)

brett tolino

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
brett tolino
In my opinion, YES!

The whole conglomerate of Time Warner is just one big mess, from their publishing division to their movie division to, at times, their home video division. It's one of the reasons why Carl Ichan desperately attempted a major hostile takeover of Time Inc nearly a year ago.

First, the library of characters at Warner's disposal is so immense, it's almost unlimited with potential and possibilities. Right now, comic properties are so hot in Hollywood, nearly every summer there's another explosion of comic to film properties. Marvel Comics doesn't even have the backing of a major studio behind them yet they have brought more characters to the screen in the last few years than anyone else. Whether they were good or not is another story but what they do need to be commended on is raising public awareness about their characters which in many cases, has translated into lucrative deals in licensing for toys and also brought in many new readers into their library. They have done everything from The Hulk, Daredevil, Elektra, Spider Man, X-Men, Ghost Rider and The Punisher.

What has Warner done with their immense library?

Nothing except Superman and Batman. They tried Constantine and Swamp Thing as well.

Oh, and Catwoman.

Who do they have at their disposal? Green Lantern, The Flash, Green Arrow, The Justice League, New Teen Titans (Ok, Teen Titans was a successful cartoon but did DC's own merchandising division, DC Direct care or capitalize on the success? A Big Fat No.) and plenty of others.

It appears as though Warners really doesn't give a damn. While Marvel is continually raising public awareness with their characters, Warners and DC just flounders and slugs on by like a lazy lump.

Right now, DC Comics is suffering some of the worst sales in their 60+ publishing history, released a weekly comic at the expense of their entire line of monthlies, none of which ship monthly anymore and hired artists on exclusive contracts who have barely produced 6 issues in a year. How are DC's executives rewarded for slaughtering their entire line?

According to Time Warner, they keep their jobs!

On the home video front? They keep releasing the same dreck multiple times, titles many wonder who they heck is buying this stuff while other films that fans have been begging for release -- that haven't been released even once, just get passed on by.

Their television on dvd is just haphazard releasing at best. Once again, some shows get released in complete full seasons yet Warner's TV on DVD just gets released here and there, with no steady commitments from the studio to release further seasons -- that is, unless its Success In The City, Sopranos (which no one even cares about anymore) or Smallville. There is no general pattern for consumers to follow thus, we don't know how to buy with confidence anymore. As a consumer, I no longer invest in season ones of tv shows because I'm tired of spending upwards of 40 bucks on a first season only to have it sit on my shelf collecting dust while further seasons go forgotten about by Warners. If shows like Little House on The Prarie, which I'm sure don't sell nearly as well as Success In The City can complete the full show on dvd, why can't Warner?

As a consumer who cares about many of their properties, who has tons of money to invest in merchandise, if only Warner's would release them, I am starting to feel like Warner is just not living up to its own potential. Many people write and voice their opinions but continually go ignored by this company. Granted Time Warner is an immense conglomorate but big is not necessarily better and when all of their divisions are suffering from the same red tape burocracy, you know somethings up.

As a consumer, I just wish Warner Bros would get on the ball and start releasing some LONG requested films onto dvd, films that HAVEN'T been released yet; release subsequent seasons of your tv on dvd because you are burning consumer confidence in your product by letting them flounder, forgotten. On long running shows that have gone on for 10 + seasons, release them MORE than once or twice a year otherwise DVD itself may be obsolete before we get the entire shows into our library. If this is too much, license them out to smaller studios like Shout Factory or Anchor Bay for fans.

And make your publishing libraries and film development corps on the ball. It doesn't look good for you when a rival publishing company is beating WB to the punch each and every summer with another exciting prospect. There's more to your library than Superman and Batman. If the public only knows Superman and Batman its because YOU as a company need to make the rest of your properties more visably viable to the buying public!

Get on the ball Time Warner -- the possibilities are endless and only YOU can make your properties a success!

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit
"I find Warner Brothers to be, without a doubt, the best major studio for releasing movies. They cover their entire catalog not just stuff from the last twenty years."

But TV shows, eeeehhhhhh......

I think their treatment of the Hanna Barbera libarary is abominible. They've basically treated all the Non-Scooby Doo shows as red-headed stepchildren.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Brett, I think your rant has some points, but it's so watered down by incorect information, and a lack of understanding of how the business works. This is the TV-DVD section, so you probably should have focused on that, and "Success and the City" is an HBO title (along with Sopranos) distributed by Warner Bros. No one from Warner worked on it.

That's the case with EVERY studio though. There IS no commitment from the studio to continue releasing beyond what they've already put out. If it sells poorly then they probably won't release anything else, or they'll take some time to see how they can continue releasing the show on DVD so they can still make money. The studios always have plans to release more sets of a show, but those are canceled if people don't buy what they release.

Gord

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland

I agree wholeheartedly. 200 new-to-dvd catalogue releases in 2007. What other studio can claim that?!

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
I have to disagree with the initial thread poster, with respect :) From a TV/DVD view, they've released some of my all-time fav's. Lois & Clark, and "Dallas" is getting continuous releases as well.

I'd guess that we're all waiting for more from Warner. Me, I'm wanting a Bogart film from them (in my Sig).

One thing I've learned from this hobby...."Patience is tested" :) But, we've seen a lot of the older series released during the past couple of years.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
They put out some of the best movie DVDs ever. Period. I dont have a problem with most of the DC animation either. Course Batman and Justice League is all i can base that on. I do hate the cardboard digipack, with staggard discs that Justice League comes in! I also hate the use of flipper discs on one disc and a label on the other, for some sets. But as much as i hate flippers, the Warner ones play fine.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
I love Warner's, I do wish some of the care that goes into their film division would go into their TV and "kid" division but hope and think things are improving. They need more advertising for some titles as well.

In regards to film, It looks like Shazam may be happening, Wonder Woman is being reworked, I read about Seven Soldiers of Victory and Justice League getting film versions and some Prison Break based Green Arrow film which in concept I find dreadful.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I was okay with Warners. They didn't spend a dime to remaster some of their shows, particularly the Lorimar ones, but at least got them out.

Then that Mama's Family thing happened and I will not buy any of their TV show releases, except used.

And their treatment of sitcoms that don't start with the letter "F" is, well, a dirty phrase beginning with the letter "F" and rhymes with Daffy's species.

Their movie division is king of classic films however.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
thank you, I agree. Warner frankly SUCKS in terms of sitcoms that aren't Friends, Fresh Prince or Full House.... makes me wonder if Family Matters would be a smash too for them because of the letter it starts with.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Warners is the best in releasing classic films, and also does well with TV, though Paramount is beginning to out do it in releasing classic TV series. If any studio needs new management in its DVD division, it's FOX, which has the absolute worst record in releasing classic TV- there are still a LOT of vintage TV titles lying in the FOX vaults!!

tjguitar85

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas
WHV's customer service is non-existant. I've emailed them three times (frin twi email addresses) asking to cancel a pre-order and all I get is an automated repsonse. You can't seem to do it through their 'myexpresscheckout' page which shows all of your orders.

Ben King

Stunt Coordinator
I think Warners might want to revise their "release the first season and then wait a year to see what happens before releasing anymore" schedule regarding their TV titles e.g. Dallas, The Waltons, Knots Landing etc.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland

Well, in just under three years they put out 7 seasons of Dallas and 5 of The Waltons, so that's not too slow. Sony is putting out All in the Family one season per year. It's taken six years to get to season 6. WB has also put out 6 seasons of The Adventures of Superman in under two years. Same with the 4 seasons of Lois & Clark: less than two years. Knots Landing didn't sell quite as well as the other 2 series mentioned, so it's still being considered.

That may not be the best in the business, but it's not a bad track record by a long shot.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Adventures of Superman and Lois & Clark dvds were part of a marketing blitz to coincide with the Superman Returns film, so every Superman fan benefitted from that. Dallas dvds are meant to raise public awareness of the Dallas property in order to pave the way for the Dallas movie. Again, Dallas fans benefit. Knot's 1 did not sell, but there have been murmurs of a season 2 to be released by the end of '07. As for the lack of DC super-heroes on the big screen, I quite agree. But what has that to do with the price of tea in China?

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
I'm semi-happy with WHV's H-B releases. I have my complete Flintstones, Jetsons, Top Cat, Jonny Quest (minus Heathen Monkeys), Hong Kong Phooey and Wacky Races. I have enough to program my own Boomerang.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

You once had the idea to spread rumors of a Knots Landing movie with Will Ferrell as Gary, Jessica Simpson as Val, and Paris Hilton as Abby. That bone-chillingly bad idea is likely the only way we will see more of it on DVD.

If the Dallas movie fails (and it will), I'll bet you dollars to donuts WB drops the DVDs like a rock.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
We're all forgetting one thing that has adversely affected Time Warner accross the board:

The AOL merger.

What benefit did it serve, except the possibility of Porky Pig attempting to say "you've got mail"? It is often referred to as one of the biggest corporate blunders in history.

They can start by divesting of AOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks