What's new

Does this surround speaker setup look okay? (1 Viewer)

David Coppit

Auditioning
Hey everyone,
I'm planning a home theater setup for my living room, and I was hoping to get
some feedback on my proposed speaker setup. Attached is a diagram...
- The ceilings are 9' high.
- I'm planning on buying the JBL NSP1's--I've heard they give good bang for the buck, and I'm not really an audiophile.
- The house is going to be built, but I need to get my final change list in soon.
- The floor is hardwood
- I've marked the diagram with my proposed speaker locations.
- I'm thinking it's better to place the speakers far away along the walls in order to avoid having people go deaf in one ear.
Questions:
- I'm guessing the best solution for the rear speakers would be to ceiling mount them. Has anyone done this with a set of speakers like this? Will ceiling mounting the speakers hurt the surround effect?
- Another option is to use a head-level stand for the speakers, but I'd place them near the couches in order to avoid blocking the path to the kitchen. In this case, I'd probably have to ask them to put speaker jacks in the floor below the projector, then have a big rug in the middle of the room to hide the wires going to the speakers. Anyone have an opinion on this setup?
- Should I ask them to prewire for a 7.1 system? That would mean that I'd have to move my back speakers closer to the front, and put the rear two speakers pretty close to the kitchen. I'm not sure I'm enough of an audiophile to want this, but if I'm going to do it, I'd better do it during construction. ;)
Thanks for the feedback,
coppit

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I'm not familiar with those JBL's but if you can ceiling mount and aim down slightly, ti would be viable. The rear centre(s) could also be ceiling mounted behind the main couch. Only problem is they would be a little more difficult to move around than stand-mounted.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks