What's new

Does the HTF have what it takes to make a movie? (1 Viewer)

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I'm in the works to make a short film and I thought it would be fun to let the gang here help create the screenplay.

Hear me out, the location is an isolated farm house with an old overgrown barn, it lies about 50 feet away. The house is filled with old furniture, complete with old magazines from the sixties.

The basis for the film is to make a horror/suspense thriller. The rest is up to you. If we can get some good ideas floating around for the story... then I'll run with it. Just keep things extremely low budget and try to keep the casting to a minimum, maybe 4 or 5 actors.

I have some ideas, but I just thought that I would ask the gang here who has seen just about every movie ever made. The more original the better.

BTW, here is a small sample of what we are capable of.
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...=971133878&n=2

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Isolated farmhouse, huh? I'm thinking zombies, besiegement, racial tension, gore. Just remember once it comes together to put the copyright info on the print, please.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Here are some ideas:

-Regarding the 60s magazines: Try to work in some jokes that bash hippies/Woodstock/the British fashion scene of the time. I have no idea what type of 60s magazines are in this house, but the jokes should be delivered by some foul-mouthed wise-ass comic relief who would end up dying a gruesome death, possibly by being impaled by a pitchfork. Death by chainsaw or tractor would be interesting as well.

-If this is a horror movie, work in some nudity. A little T&A never hurt anybody.

-Since it's set around a farmhouse, work in a reference to "The Wizard Of Oz" (the 1939 Judy Garland classic, not the books or anything). Since there are to be about 5 actors or so, I would suggest making a reference to "The Breakfast Club". For a young woman (early-20s) in the cast, I would try and write references to the Disney versions of "The Little Mermaid" and "Beauty And The Beast".

-Depending on whether you want to be darkly tongue-in-cheek or not, having the wise-ass joke about Richard Ramirez and Charles Manson would be cool.

Just some ideas.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

I might have a few more ideas in mind. I'll get back to this thread.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Funny that you mention Ramirez, I just finished reading the Night Stalker.

The magazines are old "Time" magazines, filled with large full page smoking ads. :)

Any other ideas? Keep them coming gang...

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I've got a few more ideas.

1.) There should be an argument between two people over which music gets played in the car. The guy in the argument wants to listen to Iron Maiden (probably something off the "Powerslave" album), while the woman in the argument wants to listen to the Lani Hall song "Never Say Never Again" (the theme to 1983's unofficial James Bond movie). The woman should win out and the guy should curse her about it. "Never Say Never Again" should pop up again later in the movie when the woman who liked the song is being slashed to death.

2.) There should be 3 women and 2 guys in the cast. I say that because the person who survives all the attacks and defeats the psycho should be a woman. The woman who survives should also have a big rack, preferrably so she could battle the psycho while only wearing her panties (in a homage to the first "Alien").

3.) See if you can work fire into the plot. Perhaps one of the men could meet his end by being doused in gasoline and lit on fire.

4.) I would suggest having the wise-ass comic relief doing a version of the infamous joke "The Aristocrats".

5.) Blood...Lots of blood.

6.) The woman who dies should be Carrie, while the woman who survives should be named either Kathleen or Sherri.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

I might have a few more ideas. Let me get back to you.

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor
You need the advice of Ernest Rister for subtext that needs to be added to the film to make it "classic"

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
For a weekend, a teenage boy has his friends sleeping over at the farm house while his parents are away. A couple sneak outside to do you know what and they stumble upon a mysterious egg. The group of friends decide to leave the egg inside the barn. While the group is sleeping on Friday night, the egg causes wierd effects to appear in the barn. Next day, the egg takes on the appearance that it will hatch soon. Same wierd effects appear on Saturday night. On Sunday, the egg hatches ....

It's not that original but it should be a lot of fun if done right.

~T

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Thi, interesting idea! I really like it.

I may try to spin something off that.

Any ideas on what should result from the egg? During incubation and afterwards.

Hmm..... I'll give that some thought.

Any others? Or maybe we can add to the egg idea and see what someone else brings to the table.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I think what comes out of the egg should be your idea, since you know what you are capable of making.

~T

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
True, but a lot can be done with editing and your imagination. ;)

There's no reason why we even have to show exactly what comes out of the egg. My immediate thought is that it starts off small, but becomes very large, very fast. My other thought is that it stays small, but attaches itself to one of the kids. Slowly giving him powers over darkness (check the link in the first post) and eventually it takes over his mind.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...=991233953&n=2

Here is a new 14 second test clip showing what I am currently capable of SFX wise.
It is just a test, now that I have done it once I know that I can do a much better job for the actual film. Especially in the lighting department.

I think we should twist this film towards the egg hatching, attaching itself to someone, granting them superhuman powers, and eventually taking over their thoughts. Very sci-fi... but dark.

Let me know what you think and thanks for the PM's guys!

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Not to change the subject - but with the 1960s ero stuff all around it sounds like the perfect setting for a short I wrote in college. I'll try to summarize and add visual ideas.

Begin with a view of the house from the road. Have a 1985 Camaro drive past (more later) as you zoom to a window. Inside is a man sleeping. He wakes up with a start, breathing fast and sweating - but cannot remember why.

As he comes to and sets about his daily activity we learn Our protagonist is a drunk and antisocial recluse. You can perform several flashbacks of his prior week. The strange old lady in black who moved in down the road and her annoying black cat which was always staring at him. The weird - almost sexual way she relates to the cat. The freaky young man who sometimes visited her who also was always in black.
One day when the cat trespassed our protagonists took the opportunity to shoot it with an old wrist-rocket from his uneventful childhood. Relishing the sound of the cats howl when the marble hits its arse our protagonist flinches... and hits the cat square between the eyes - it dies fast. The woman next door flippped out! She started swearing at our protagonist in a language he had never heard. She pulled strange things, some quite disgusting, from her pockets and started pelting him with them, then she attacked him! He was surprized and ran away before she could do much more than pull out a handfull of his hair.
In the present our protagonist goes to open the front door to go dispose of the cat. The doorknob does not turn. He looks to his hand thinking he cut it. It quickly becomes covered in blood, but it stops at his wrist. He uses his other hand to try wiping it away and the same happens to it. It is then that he looks around his home and notices it covered in dust and cobwebs. Blood starts dripping from the doorknob. He backs away and it spreads around the frame, then the wall. The wall becomes a crimson waterfall as he backs down his hallway back to his room - the blood spreading down the halls after him.

He panics - can't open the window. The walls start throbbing like a slow heatbeat. He shouts, he pleads. He is on his bed - resembling a macabre dias in a room made of blood.

A dark figure enters the room, gliding, barely seeming to touch the floor. It is holding that infernal black cat and it is purring. The room falls silent and it lays the cat on the bed next to our protagonist. It lies still - a small marble sized hole between it's eyes. Then it starts to change. It grows larger, more human. Our protagonist looks down to see the strange young man who used to visit the old lady - with a small marble sized hole between his eyes.

The figure reveals itself as the old lady - now quite sad. She picks up the carcass and exits the room while crying in a errie way. Being too much to comprehend our protagonists faints.

The camera pulls out throught the window as we watch the sunset behind the house. Time lapse to the next day. A 2000 Camaro drives past the farmhouse. Zoom in to see the man sleeping in bed. He awakes with a start, breathing fast and sweating - but cannot remember why.

Run credits.

Sorry if it seems choppy - The complete work is six pages. You get the general idea. Maybe it's not what you're after - but I had fun sharing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks