Does anybody want Henson to revisit the first three Muppet movies?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeffrey Gray, May 9, 2002.

1. Jeffrey Gray

Jeffrey Gray Second Unit

You know, I have been reading reviews for the DVDs of the three Muppet movies made during Jim Henson's life, and all the reviews say the picture, sound, and extras all leave much to be desired. Now, I wonder...since we're petitioning the Jim Henson Company to get Disney to do OAR DVDs of the post-Henson Muppet movies, and to get their own home entertainment division to release Fraggle Rock to DVD, why don't we try to get them to do new DVDs (SEs, even) of the first 3 Muppet movies? I would love SEs with documentaries, behind-the-scenes footage, and commentary by Frank Oz, Dave Goelz, Jerry Nelson, and the other surviving classic Muppeteers. Wouldn't everybody else?

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

From what I hear, Columbia spent a LOT of time cleaning them up for DVD, and that Columbia wasn't wiling to pony up for more extras than are on there. Plus the problem of it having to be a DVD-5 really limited things

3. Jeffrey Gray

Jeffrey Gray Second Unit

Columbia doesn't have to get involved. The Jim Henson Co. has its own home entertainment division; why can't they produce the disc themselves?

4. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Let's not give Henson & Co. too much more to think about right now than the issues on the table. They don't need to feel "beat up upon"; then they'll start ignoring the whole entire mess. Let's just concentrate on a couple of key areas. OAR and Fraggle Rock seem to be good places to start. [​IMG]
    I for one am happy enough with the discs I already have. I just want to be able to purchase the new ones, from Follow That Bird on!

5. Jeff Kleist

Because Columbia has distribution rights. Henson does not do their own home video production, they just approve it before it ships

I HAVE used my contacts to make them aware of the Disney widescreen issue. But by the time it trickles down the disc will be out

6. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    Yes, I agree with David.

Give them time to concentrate on much more needed titles like Muppet TI, Muppet X-mas, Follow that Bird all in 16x9

and Fraggle Rock live action and animated full seasons on DVD.

They can ALWAYS go back to the other Muppet Movies and improve of them if they need to.

Plus I hear that they are busy with anoher Dark Crystal/Labyrinth type of fantasy movie

7. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

8. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    I was most disappointed with the first "Muppet Movie". The 5.1 remix really left a lot to be desired. The stereo foreign language tracks featured better musical fidelity than the remix of the original English track. I suppose it is possible that they did not have an isolated dialog track from which to work, but it is still disappointing.

Regards,

9. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I think any and all "disappoiontments" with the original DVDs stem not from a lack of effort, but simply from a lack of materials. The Muppet Movie specifically was a low budget affair, and the film certainly shows it. It is very grainy (which, despite the popular reviewer opinion is not a fault of the "transfer")- and looks pretty low budget.

Also, with music, I get the feeling source materials were simply not available. The music is a bit low-fi at times, but no more so than any other similar budget film from the same era.

I think as much as we love these movies, I think we have to realize that at the time they were kind of the bastard step child releases which got little attention even as they were being filmed.

I certainly wouldn't mind commentaries from the cast- but I think the sales of the current discs show that there might not be much of an audience to make the effort worthwhile.

If only everyone in the world bought the movies I like, then I could get gret SE's of everything. Heck, I'm ready to move to LA and offer to produce DVD supplements for free, just to see them happen.

-Vince

10. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

11. Jeff Kleist

Vince is correct. It's the available materials. I think all they have is the final mixdown for The Muppet Movie, so they'd be faking 5.1 from that. I could swear there's a 2.0 track on there as well

Agreed. The discs we have now are great, AFTER we get the other stuff maybe come back to them

I have mentioned Fraggle Rock many times, they don't have a distributor yet. Last I heard, HBO is waffling on first right of refusal.

12. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

13. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

This looks like a good thread for me to work in the title..DREAMCHILD.
    An excellent film and the first project of Jim Henson's Creature Shop.
    Jim
    It's available on pan & scat video tape. [​IMG]