What's new

Does anybody use Phoeinx Gold Cable for thier home theaters? (1 Viewer)

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
My entire rack is Phoenix Gold entry level stuff (about $5 for a 6' interconnect), and thats a sh*t pile of cable.

Of course, cables are the most controversial topic in all of audio (and thats saying something, IMHO). I personally would spend my money on good sounding software rather than cables, were I you.

And just to begin the decent into the mud where this thread is ultimately headed, I recently won a Nordost Blue Heaven interconnect. This things lists for $300! I A/B'd it against my old standby Phoenix using Bob Dylan's Blood on the Tracks SACD. The result? My ears heard no difference whatsoever, so I traded it in even on a phono pre-amp. I feel like I got the long end of that stick.

At the end of the day, you need to swap a cable and do your own A/B test. Don't let me or anyone else tell you that a cable does or does not make a difference. Its your ears and wallet that matter.

BGL

Bob_Lawrance

Stunt Coordinator
Brain

Most of my cable is Phoenix Gold Cable. I do enjoy it, even my speaker wire is Phoenix Gold.
Did you buy your cable from local store?

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
No, it all came from Parts Express.

Actually, I should say that all my interconnects are PG. My speaker wire is RS Supercable. Video cable is a mix of vendors.

BGL

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member

Since your eyes are more sensitive than your ears, I tend to favor budget audio cables and good quality (bit more expensive) video cables.

Phoenix is probably fine for audio, subwoofer and coaxial-digital.

You might even keep it if you are running standard component video to anything and dont notice any problems.

But if you are running progressive video or HD video: Check to see if your cables say anything about "HD Rated" or "HD Compatible". If not, then consider upgrading to something ment for the higher frequency signals.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member

I know that....just wanted to avoid the normal cables matter/cables don't matter dogma!:D

BGL

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks