What's new

Does anybody have the Denon dvd 910? (1 Viewer)

James Lee

Stunt Coordinator
David, I'll try to give the 910 a good workout in the next several days and report back.

What kind of TV do you have?

James Lee

Stunt Coordinator
David, results looks very good. I tried a sampling of DVDs, including ones that are known for exhibiting the chroma bug. Toy Story: no sign, particularly in the Toy Story logo on the menu screen. Superbit version of the Fifth Element looked excellent. Moulin Rouge was stunning. Now, I am not a video expert, but I could find no sign of the chroma bug at all and I tried really hard to look for it. So it appears that the Denon 910 is a very nice alternative to the more expensive Denon 1600. In general, I have not been disappointed at all. I've viewed a range of DVDs on it and image quality is outstanding.

Honestly, I don't know how it will look on your Hitachi TV, so you might want to consider buying the player from a place that has a decent return policy because you won't truly know how good it will look until you try it, but on my Samsung TV, the player is excellent. As long as you don't need DVD-A or SACD playability, then I say go ahead and get one.

David Preston

Supporting Actor
James I'll take your advise. Thanks a lot for all the info. I'll let you know how it does for me. Thanks again.

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
As far as return policies go, Crutchfield has a 30-day, no-questions-asked return policy. I think they even include a prepaid return shipping label. In the past their sales advisors have told me to drive a new piece of gear hard for a month to be sure it meets my needs, because they'll be glad to take it back if it doesn't.

I just downloaded the owners manual for the 910 from Denon's Web site. My birthday is at the end of August and suddenly I know what I'll be getting!

Thanks for the review, James.

David Preston

Supporting Actor
I found it on-line for as low as $279.00. I think I'll still go with Crutchfield for the reliabilty factor. I never heard of the other place.

AnthonyJS

Agent
In that chart, Denon also claims that the 2900 does not have the CUE. However, on certain material, the guys at Secrets proved otherwise. Since the 900 had the CUE, I'd take that comparison chart with a grain of salt.

Franklin

Agent
just curious if anyone else may have picked this one up? i'm in the market for a new player, and the 910 looks good so far. any other opinions out there on this player?

David Preston

Supporting Actor
So I'm guessing this would be a better player than the Marantz DVD4300. I haven't heard to many good thing about the 430DVD player.

Chad-St

Auditioning
My brother got the Denon DVD-910 Thursday night from Crutchfield and it was defective. When set to progressive scan the screen would jump a little bit and the top 20% of the picture would bend to the right. We tried different cables and a different input on the TV and got the same results. When the player was switched to interlaced, everything looked fine. Called Crutchfield and they are sending out a replacement. Should be here on Monday or Tuesday.

My house must have an evil curse on progressive scan DVD players because a few weeks ago we got an Onkyo DVD player and it was defective too. It would just freeze playback, but the counter would keep going. Then you’d hit pause, then un-pause, and it would continue. Just like the Denon, this only happened in progressive scan. After that, we did some research and found that the players with the Faroudja chip seem to be the ones to get. So that’s when we decided on the 910.

The problem isn’t the TV. We had a friend bring over his progressive scan player and his worked fine. We also have an XBOX, which outputs a progressive signal and it works fine too. So we are 0 for 2 in progressive scan DVD players. Hopefully the 910 that arrives next week is a good one. If not, we’ll probably just give up and just stick with my 4 year old glitchy JVC player. At least we know all the proper chants and rituals to get it to work.

Chad-St

Auditioning
Well, we got the replacement DVD-910 today and guess what... it does the exact same thing. :angry:

Two bad units in a row is not a very common thing to happen. So we started questioning the TV again. We checked some Xbox games that run in 480p and they worked. We even checked some games that were 16:9 enhanced thinking maybe that was the issue, but they worked too. We tried changing almost every setting on the DVD-910, but nothing helped the problem except switching the player to interlaced. Oh by the way, our TV is the Sony 34XBR800.

I just emailed Denon tech support to see what they'll say. My guess is they'll say it's the TV but I really don't think it is. On Friday my brother will call Crutchfield back and see if they can figure anything out. In the meantime, I'm going to search the forums and see if any one else is having progressive scan issues with the DVD-910 or the 34XBR800.

Another possible test would be to take the 910 over to my friends house and test it on his tv. He has a Samsung 30 16x9 HDTV. I'll see if I can do that on Friday.

The DVD nightmare continues for our house. We are now 0 for 3. :frowning:

I'll let you know what I find out.

David Preston

Supporting Actor
Chad thanks for the update. Time is winding down for me to make a decision. If I don't get the 910 for my birthday I'll have to figure out something else in that price range. I appreciate all you help. David

Franklin

Agent
well, i got my DVD-910 on monday from crutchfield, and 2 days in advance to boot!

i'm pretty happy with my purchase! i've only got a 20 inch toshiba flat screen, but its deffinately a better picture than my old panasonic A120. i don't have a progressive scan set, so i can not add to this area of the thread.

additionally, i was curious to see how well it played back CDs, so i tossed in an all time personal fav, Undertow from TOOL, and was shocked. to me, it counded clean and clear almost as if i was listening to it for the first time.

i'm pretty satisfied with the 910. hope that helps!

Frank

matt-f

Second Unit
I'm not too sure about the Denon 910 but I'm probably recommened with the new Denon 1200 which replaces the 1600. Suppsoingly it is equivalent as the Panasonic RP-82 since they both use the FLI 2200. The 1200 may have an advantage since it has a 12bit decoder on the progressive side than the 82 and 1600.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks