What's new

Does any one have any reviews of the new Sony DVP-NS999ES DVD Player (1 Viewer)

BrianM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
I am seriously considering buying this player but i wanted to know what others think of it first. I am looking for a great DVD player that also plays SACD (I am gambling on my assumption that SACD will ultimately beat out DVD-A in the long run). Any input would be greatly appreciated. I would be replacing my faithful Sony 7700.

Jeff Kleinberg

Stunt Coordinator
Hi
I used this player for about 1 month and was very happy with the picture quality and especially sacd. I ended up going with the onkyo universal player, the picture was the same, with the sony getting an edge with sacd. The user interface and remote are excellent. It has a great replay function as well, and it remembers automatically where you left off on like 20 discs.
Jeff

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Brian, I don't own the 'NS999ES, but I saw it in action for the first time last night at a Tweeter store and came away impressed. The picture quality was excellent. Build quality is not as good as the 'S9000ES that preceded it, but it is solid nonetheless. I didn't get the change to evaluate it on the audio side. As a plus, the 'NS999ES has the same slick disc tray adorned by the 'S9000ES. I say give the 'NS999ES an audition.

Bryan Guth

Agent
This player has some incredibly cool features, and oodles of picture adjustment options, and it's very sleek-looking. The audio is the star attraction.PQ is good but this suffersw noticeably from the chroma bug, and does not handle video-based material with the same flawless aplumb as the Panny RP-82 or Kenwood Sovereign DV5700. If the chroma bug is not something you notice or are bothered by, this is worth auditioning for sure. My main concern was best PQ and I opted for the RP-82. It didn't hurt that it cost $800 less either!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
The 999 received a very glowing review in the current (January 2003) issue of Stereophile Guide to Home Theater; it has even won one of the magazine's "product of the year" designations.

Since build quality has been brought up, it's worth noting the magazine mentioned the fact the 999 weighs only half as much as its predecessor, the 9000ES (which really was an eye-catching example of excellence in industrial design).

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jack, the 'NS999ES weighs a bit over 14 lbs., while the 'S9000ES weighs in around 27.5 lbs. The 'S9000ES is built very well. Still, the 'NS999ES isn't bad. Unfortunately, the 'NS999ES lacks the copper chassis.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks