What's new

Dodge Aries vs. Turbo Supra...Wow!! (1 Viewer)

Jeff_Krueger

Stunt Coordinator
I think that aries has a 426 hemi in it
Actually I doubt that has a hemi in it. In the video it appears that it is a front wheel drive car as the rear axel does not appear to have a drive shaft or differential.

My guess is that the mopar is running one of the Chrysler Turbo 4cyl engines from the late 80's early 90's. It does not suprise me that it can go that fast, there is a guy who has a website about his 12sec daily driver minivan. Do a search for "Mean-Mini" and you should find it there are also links to someone's site that has a 10sec Plymouth Reliant k-car.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Jeff, I have a subscription for Mopar Muscle, and that mini van your talking about is in one of my issues. It's a great idea and great story!
Just imagine you pull up in your SS 454 Chevelle or new turbo Supra, or Mustang 5.0 and just get your doors blown off by a Chrysler minivan, I would like to see their faces, it would be priceless:)
There's also a guy who's got a daily driver Dodge Neon with the 2.5 turbo(450 HP w/o NOS) and 600+ HP with the Laughing gas, he just tuned in a quarter mile elapsed time of 9.89 @ 165 mph(or close I'm not positive on the MPH), but this guy drives it to work everyday, and must have a ball not being able to be touched. BTW I think he set a record for the 4 cyl. street class.
Makes my ground shaking 13 second Dart seem really slow!

Chris Maynard

Supporting Actor
Being a Corvette person our main concern from the smaller CID group are the Twin Turbo Supras. There are some out there putting over 850hp to the rear wheels. Ugggg!
I have to dig up the link but there is a guy in Texas (Walser or something like that) who has one scary Supra.
lake400-l.jpg

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Yes, but those are 6 cyl bi-turbo's, and yowza 850 HP is SCARY. From what I've heard they're still not getting into the low tens or high nines. But they're probably more geared towards road courses.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
BTW, nice 'Vette Chris, what year? Have you taken it to Sonoma and see what it'll do in the quarter? If stock I think 13.5 or thereabouts at sea level.

Within the 8 cyl. musclecar crowd, these little rice rocket Honda's,etc (and thank God Dodge Neons) are our main concern today.

It just doesn't seem right to pull up to the stop light with your wildly loping V-8 and get smoked by a quiet little souped up turboed nitrous Honda.

I lived in Ca. and I had this happen on an occassion or 2.

Chris Maynard

Supporting Actor
Thanks Sean!

It is a 94. She is a fairly low mileage garage queen so it has preserved very well.

At Sac Raceway (50' above sea level) it runs around 13.4 to 13.7 bone stock. If I bolt on about $500 in mods I can push it down to the high 12s which I have friends doing.

The one thing those Hondas with the huge coffee can fart pipe exhaust systems can never deliver is the neck bending torque we get from our V8s.

Their torque curve looks like Mount Hood. One quick peak while ours is more rounded with much more torque throughout the rpm cycle.

E

Eric Kahn

Go to www.allpar.com
it is the K-car web page run by a bunch of K-car nuts
these guys have built some scary K-cars for relativly low amounts of money
If you have a bunch of money, you can make anything go fast:D

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
It's the extreme whine from the turbo(s) on that Aries K that sounds so damned cool! Sounds like a Kenworth spooling up for take off.
Theres a guy in Australia running a 10sec maybe 9sec now Subaru WRX. There is an in-car video on the web somewhere ( Link Removed )of him running at a strip. Runs 35+psi and you can definitely hear AWD wheel spin during one or two gear changes. And I believe it's a daily driver.
Well rainmun's vids are down. He's got some good ones.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Yes, but those are 6 cyl bi-turbo's, and yowza 850 HP is SCARY. From what I've heard they're still not getting into the low tens or high nines. But they're probably more geared towards road courses.
there's are 6 cyl turbo supras running 9's.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
The one thing those Hondas with the huge coffee can fart pipe exhaust systems can never deliver is the neck bending torque we get from our V8s.
The problem is my Dart runs 13.0 - 13.3(depending on air quality) (273ci), and even my neck snapping take offs have resulted in staring at that coffee can fart pipe because I just can't keep up, mind you most Honda's and such with fart pipes are just that: Fart pipes. Most still can't get out of their own way, however once in a while you run across one of these fart pipe equipped compacts that actually have some serious mods.

I have been beaten once by a fart piper, when I pulled up next to him, I could see his sway bar(I think thats what it was) and it said "Game Over" across this bar. And sure enough it was Game Over for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks