Dodge Aries vs. Turbo Supra...Wow!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shawn Shultzaberger, Dec 22, 2001.

1. Shawn Shultzaberger

Shawn Shultzaberger Supporting Actor

2. Ben Motley

Ben Motley Supporting Actor

I'm at work and don't want to DL to this machine. So who wins?

3. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I think that aries has a 426 hemi in it [​IMG]

4. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

Being a Mopar enthusiast, this makes me feel good! Go Mopar!!(even if it's a little Mopar)

5. Jeff_Krueger

Jeff_Krueger Stunt Coordinator

6. Sean Conklin

Jeff, I have a subscription for Mopar Muscle, and that mini van your talking about is in one of my issues. It's a great idea and great story!
    Just imagine you pull up in your SS 454 Chevelle or new turbo Supra, or Mustang 5.0 and just get your doors blown off by a Chrysler minivan, I would like to see their faces, it would be priceless[​IMG]
    There's also a guy who's got a daily driver Dodge Neon with the 2.5 turbo(450 HP w/o NOS) and 600+ HP with the Laughing gas, he just tuned in a quarter mile elapsed time of 9.89 @ 165 mph(or close I'm not positive on the MPH), but this guy drives it to work everyday, and must have a ball not being able to be touched. BTW I think he set a record for the 4 cyl. street class.
    Makes my ground shaking 13 second Dart seem really slow!

7. Chris Maynard

Chris Maynard Supporting Actor

Being a Corvette person our main concern from the smaller CID group are the Twin Turbo Supras. There are some out there putting over 850hp to the rear wheels. Ugggg!
    I have to dig up the link but there is a guy in Texas (Walser or something like that) who has one scary Supra.
    [​IMG]

8. Sean Conklin

Yes, but those are 6 cyl bi-turbo's, and yowza 850 HP is SCARY. From what I've heard they're still not getting into the low tens or high nines. But they're probably more geared towards road courses.

9. Sean Conklin

BTW, nice 'Vette Chris, what year? Have you taken it to Sonoma and see what it'll do in the quarter? If stock I think 13.5 or thereabouts at sea level.

Within the 8 cyl. musclecar crowd, these little rice rocket Honda's,etc (and thank God Dodge Neons) are our main concern today.

It just doesn't seem right to pull up to the stop light with your wildly loping V-8 and get smoked by a quiet little souped up turboed nitrous Honda.

I lived in Ca. and I had this happen on an occassion or 2.

10. Chris Maynard

Chris Maynard Supporting Actor

Thanks Sean!

It is a 94. She is a fairly low mileage garage queen so it has preserved very well.

At Sac Raceway (50' above sea level) it runs around 13.4 to 13.7 bone stock. If I bolt on about $500 in mods I can push it down to the high 12s which I have friends doing.

The one thing those Hondas with the huge coffee can fart pipe exhaust systems can never deliver is the neck bending torque we get from our V8s.

Their torque curve looks like Mount Hood. One quick peak while ours is more rounded with much more torque throughout the rpm cycle.

11. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

Go to www.allpar.com
    it is the K-car web page run by a bunch of K-car nuts
    these guys have built some scary K-cars for relativly low amounts of money
    If you have a bunch of money, you can make anything go fast[​IMG]

12. Shawn Shultzaberger

Shawn Shultzaberger Supporting Actor

It's the extreme whine from the turbo(s) on that Aries K that sounds so damned cool! Sounds like a Kenworth spooling up for take off.
    Theres a guy in Australia running a 10sec maybe 9sec now Subaru WRX. There is an in-car video on the web somewhere ( www.rainmun.com )of him running at a strip. Runs 35+psi and you can definitely hear AWD wheel spin during one or two gear changes. And I believe it's a daily driver.
    Well rainmun's vids are down. He's got some good ones.

13. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

14. Sean Conklin