What's new

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
The consensus on the thread appears to be that the extended version is better, yet the studio, in it’s infinite wisdom, is only providing it in HD. It makes it harder to buy the 4K edition.
It’s 4K as an extra on my VUDU version. And it’s a bloody brilliant film.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The consensus on the thread appears to be that the extended version is better, yet the studio, in it’s infinite wisdom, is only providing it in HD. It makes it harder to buy the 4K edition.

The longer version is absolutely, positively the better version.

I can't remember, but are you saying that Warner never included the longer version in 4k on the disc release?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The longer version is absolutely, positively the better version.

I can't remember, but are you saying that Warner never included the longer version in 4k on the disc release?
That's correct, it's only on Blu-ray with the 4K release, but it's available in 4K/Dolby Vision & Atmos digitally. This is one 4K disc release that you want to redeem your digital code instead of selling it, otherwise, you miss your chance to having the longer version in 4K, at least, digitally.

KeithDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith
Yes - that's why I only bought the Blu and not the 4K set. (Our internet is too slow for streaming....)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yes - that's why I only bought the Blu and not the 4K set. (Our internet is too slow for streaming....)
Ironically, the reason why I bought the 4K stream instead of the 4K disc is because the extended version is only on BD.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I think I pretty much feel the same way about it as I did on opening day in 1980. I just can’t think of one scene in the film that i I think is actually scary.

Having only made it to NYC occasionally, I tended to squeeze as many museums, movies, etc. in as I can each day I visited. I first saw THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK on Broadway in 1980, which blew my socks away (the screen was gigantic), and then crossed the street and watched THE SHINING. What a let down! Jack Nicholson's acting is insanely over-the-top (and God knows why Kubrick let him get away with all that shameless mugging), but worse is that he has no character arc. I generally revere the man, but in this film (unlike the book), he starts out nuts and simply gets nuttier and more dangerous. Nevertheless, I have grown to appreciate the film more over time and do return to it once every few years.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
...What a let down! Jack Nicholson's acting is insanely over-the-top (and God knows why Kubrick let him get away with all that shameless mugging), but worse is that he has no character arc...
Kubrick didn't let him get away wth anything, he made him do that. Nicholson started out subtle and Kubrick kept pushing him to go bigger and bigger.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Kubrick didn't let him get away wth anything, he made him do that. Nicholson started out subtle and Kubrick kept pushing him to go bigger and bigger.

If so, I (in the minority, no doubt), feel that was just one of the many mistakes Kubrick made when adapting the book. Flame shield up. :unsure:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
If so, I (in the minority, no doubt), feel that was just one of the many mistakes Kubrick made when adapting the book. Flame shield up. :unsure:
I've grown to like The Shining more over the years (almost every shot could make a wonderful photograph) but as you previously pointed out, a major problem in the movie is that Nicholson starts crazy so he can only go from crazy to apeshit crazy. When you have to do that, I guess there's no way to do anything other than go way too big.

Doctor Sleep was pretty good though.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I've grown to like The Shining more over the years (almost every shot could make a wonderful photograph) but as you previously pointed out, a major problem in the movie is that Nicholson starts crazy so he can only go from crazy to apeshit crazy. When you have to do that, I guess there's no way to do anything other than go way too big.

Doctor Sleep was pretty good though.

I think DOCTOR SLEEP is pretty amazing. I liked it the first time during the theatrical run, and more so on Blu-ray with the extended edition. Wish there was a director commentary.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks