What's new

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I think the effectiveness of Doctor Sleep is magnified with some prior knowledge of The Shining, especially since it recreates so winningly the look and feel of the hotel that plays such an instrumental part in both movies.

I agree 100% with you and Ron, Matt. Watching The Shining first is absolutely essential for understanding and enjoying Doctor Sleep. Without doing so, much of what happens in the latter film has no context.

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I think I pretty much feel the same way about it as I did on opening day in 1980. I just can’t think of one scene in the film that i I think is actually scary.

I don't know about that. It was scary the first time I watched it. I feared for Dick Halloran(Scatman Crothers) when he arrives at the Overlook Hotel looking for the family after his visions. And after that I was terrified that Jack's wife, and son would be chopped up with an axe. It was scary the first time I saw it. the 25 times or so after that viewing I just enjoy the performances, and movie, as I know how it turns out.

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think the effectiveness of Doctor Sleep is magnified with some prior knowledge of The Shining, especially since it recreates so winningly the look and feel of the hotel that plays such an instrumental part in both movies.
Thanks for all the replies. I would consider myself to have some prior knowledge of The Shining. I know the basics of the overall story and have at least watched bits and pieces over the years as the film runs on cable, but I don't really have any memory of actually watching the film from start to finish. Maybe I'll order the UK version on blu-ray. Sounds like perhaps that's a more streamlined version, as my opinion over the years from watching the "bits and pieces" is that it's incredibly slow-moving.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I saw "Shining" 1st run in 1980 when I was 13, and I don't recall thinking it was particularly scary. I loved it - and the movie got me into King's novels - but I can't remember the feeling that it disturbed me.

That summer's "Friday the 13th" got to me, though - the end when Betsy Palmer's head gets lopped off gave me nightmares!
I remember seeing that film in a little downtown theater in Danville, Illinois and laughing my ass off during that scene as some people in my almost full audience looked at me like I was crazy. For some reason, it just cracked me up with her headless body and her flinging arms. I know, I'm weird.:)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I actually don't recall the first time I saw The Shining. I would have been 15, but I have no doubt I saw it in the theater. I had already read it. I read a lot of King in Jr. and Sr High School, but got tired of him after that. The movie was kind of a big deal around here, since I grew up about 50 miles from the hotel that inspired it. They did actually shoot a handful of scenes in Estes Park, CO. though the Outlook Hotel in the movie is absolutely nothing like The Stanley Hotel the book is inspired by. I suppose I thought it was scary, maybe not.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
It was scary the first time I watched it. I feared for Dick Halloran(Scatman Crothers) when he arrives at the Overlook Hotel looking for the family after his visions. And after that I was terrified that Jack's wife, and son would be chopped up with an axe.
I hear you I just don’t think those scenes were “scary”. I guess we’ll just agree to disagree on the definitions of scary.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I hear you I just don’t think those scenes were “scary”. I guess we’ll just agree to disagree on the definitions of scary.

Well different types of scary. There is only one film that truly legit scares me. I watched the Exorcist once. Never again.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
A few films I consider scary
The Conjuring Films
Evil Dead
Annabelle Creation
The Haunting Of Hill House TV series
The Changeling
The Haunting

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Halloween. Original
The Fog. Original.
Dawn Of The Dead. Original
Night Of The Living Dead. Original

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I don't think I have been scared of many films. Perhaps Nightmare on Elm Street and The Conjuring.

However, I have difficulty watching vampire films. Something about the practice of draining blood from a victim that bothers me. One movie I will not watch again is INTERVIEW WITH THE VAMPIRE.

I think that is why I found Doctor Sleep to be very creepy. Its villains partake in vampire practices and I found it somewhat disturbing.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
However, I have difficulty watching vampire films. Something about the practice of draining blood from a victim that bothers me. One movie I will not watch again is INTERVIEW WITH THE VAMPIRE
Funny, as I've always thought of that as one of the least vampire-ish vampire films ever. That and Twilight. :D Though it's been so long since I've seen Interview, maybe I'm hazy on the details.

You should (not) check out 30 Days of Night :eek:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I don't think I have been scared of many films. Perhaps Nightmare on Elm Street and The Conjuring.

I thought the concept of Nightmare on Elm Street was fantastically terrifying. Imagine not being able to sleep without having a nightmare of a man that kills you. Sleep deprevation leading to death, or killed by Freddy Krueger in a nightmare. Not good choices.
The movie is great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks