What's new

Do you prefer passive subwoofers or powered subwoofers? (1 Viewer)

Matt Nevala

Stunt Coordinator
are u saying a pasive subwoofer with a external amp? or just a passive subwoofer ran off the reciever?

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
It's somewhat pointless unless you talk specifics. There needn't be any difference from a performance standpoint really. A "passive" sub will give you more choices of power, if that's important.

David_Stein

Second Unit
Real Name
David_Stein
in theory the passive sub with external amp gives you more options in terms of upgrading for less money, and sub placement (if you had a room that is lacking in outlets).

RichardH

Supporting Actor
Take an example:

SVS Ultra vs. PC+

Performance nod goes to the Ultra obviously (assuming it's well-powered), but convenience/features goes to the PC+.

If you wanted low-pass filtering, over-excursion support, subsonic filter, etc, w/ the Ultra, you'd have to get that Marchand box or something similar.

Personally, I like the powered route, if for no other reason than auto-on. With a separate amp, you'd have to either turn it on w/ the system or have it on some kind of delayed power switch like the higher end Monster Power units.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Powered: simple, self contained, amp tends to be fairly well matched to the overall design in most cases.

Passive: you have a little "guess" work to do, but as noted, this allows you a little more flexibility as well for fine tuning and tweaking.

If you aren't looking to tweak so much, self contained would probably be the way to go.

TerryHenson

Agent
Powered subs have the convenience of being easily connected, powered and located.

Passive subs aren't vibrating an onboard amp to an early death.

Terry

Haru

Stunt Coordinator
NHT did the subtwoi very well. the amp is built into the sub cabinet, but the crossover controls are not. thats a rack width component that has more adjustability and tunability than you can think of, and it sits in your component rack. Additionally, its a stereo unit, so you can have two cabinets and control them from one controller, running in stereo or mono, whichever you prefer.

superb flexibility.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Being a "gearhead," I prefer passive. That gives me a ready excuse to had more hardware to my rack – namely a big hulkin’ amp and an outboard crossover. :D

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Phuong

Stunt Coordinator
I vote for user-friendliness. Powered all the way. I prefer fewer components on my shelf. Saw a guy with shelves loaded with amps, laserdisc player, vcr, etc, and knew that was not the way to go. You want to have the right gear, but in the end, it's all about the show, not the gear. Besides, with a sub, you only need to set it up once and it's smooth sailing from there.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
I have to agree with Wayne on this one, but I also build my own subs. I'd rather spend the money on a really high quality driver that can handle lots of power and then have an outboard amp. If I can't afford a huge amount of power in the beginning, it'll be much easier to upgrade the amp at a later time if it isn't bolted to the back of the box.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks