What's new

Do you believe in subliminal messages within music? (1 Viewer)

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
That's what you think of when you see Shania Twain??? When I see Shania I think of other things that I won't mention here. This is a family program. :D

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
And if you play The Rutles' 'Sgt. Rutle's Lonely Darts Club Band' backwards, it says "Stig has been dead for years...honestly!"

:D

TedT

Second Unit
I loathe all of the right wing idiots that think these messages cause people to kill themselves or others.
uhhh... wouldn't that be LEFT wing idiots? The right wing "idiots" are the ones who believe the government and other people should STAY OUT OF YOUR BUSINESS.

It was Tipper Gore (left wing idiot) who started the PMRC. It was Lieberman (another left wing idiot) who said if he got in office he would "clean up Hollywood".

Joshua_W

Second Unit
Backward masking is pretty much nothing.

I've heard "my sweet satan" from "Stairway to Heaven" myself... by actually sampling the song from CD and playing the .wav backwards, and it certainly sounds like it's there.

But here's why people hear "satanic" messages. Take any word that ends with a hard vowel and an "s" sound with another syllable in front of it ... like "your face" or "a place" and by reversing it to "Saylp a" or "Safe roy" and with the distortion of playing it backwards, it's going to sound like "Satan." Even words that don't explicity have the "s" sound can still end up sounding like "Satan."

Mystery solved. It's like seeing bunny rabbits in clouds on a spirng afternoon.

Now, as to these alleged "messages" somehow affecting people, I find it puzzling because half of the time, it's well-nigh impossible to understand what's being said when the songs are being played forward, let alone we're supposed to subliminally understand them backwards.

Joshua_W

Second Unit
And, I don't believe that there has ever been any kind of government inquiry into this topic, and I don't think it's ever really come up in any kind of government hearing in any meaningful way, like from Lieberman or the PMRC.

It's mostly limited to certain conservative christian groups/preachers.

It did come up in a few court cases, namely in a case against the band Judas Priest and another against Ozzy Osbourne (for his song "Suicide Solution" -- which is ludicrous because "suicide solution" is about alcoholism, with the "solution" not meaning an "answer" but a liquid.) Both suits were pretty much laughed out of court.

James Corey

Stunt Coordinator
Nope, I don't believe in backwards masking in music or sublimimal messages in advertising.

! leviD eht si ynattirB . . . . . ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks