What's new

Do these DOA3 shots look the same? (1 Viewer)

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
Check out the new screen shots at the bottom of this page,
Link Removed
Does anybody else think that these shots look slightly different from previous DOA3 shots? or is it just me?
Characters are looking a bit more 'plastic'
They say that the game is still only 50% done! Guess they had better get movin'
[Edited last by Sean Oneil on September 15, 2001 at 05:14 AM]

Ian C

Stunt Coordinator
I think there is less lighting...and so less shadows. Otherwise, they look the same
------------------

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Actually, the characters are looking more plastic. They don't look that real, but rather just have a lot of polygons and good lighting.
That shot of Tina doesn't look that impressive compared to the shots of the two girls fighting on the beach. If her shirt and six-pack were made up of polygons instead of maps, and her hair didn't look so fake, then maybe I would have a different opinion.

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
I think that is what the developer is trying to produce. A smooth porcelain doll style, kind of like what Playboy does with their airbrushing. Watching the characters move looses the plastic feel to them and is really quite stunning.
Dean

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
This shot looks incredible if you ask me, it alone makes me thing for a third time about getting an Xbox but my wait see plan will continue.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
For some reason, every shot I see from an X-Box game is less impressive than the last. That shot that you, Kelley, just posted is making me think of this game as less amazing. First off, the shot is very static and there are no energy bars or anything, so I doubt the final product will look as good, so that really puts me off to it. Second, there are some parts that don't really push the power of the X-Box like I would expect them to. You can easily see polygons, and some maps look like they are made up of polygons (like folds in dresses or shirts) and are just maps, which is a real disappointment to me (I don't know why, but I expected more from the X-Box). Third, the lighting just doesn't look as good as those pictures from the fight on the beach. It was amazing in those shots, but I haven't seen anything like it since.
This game looks fantastic, but its looking less and less fantastic. Since the game is not complete yet, they probably are going to make it look better, but the shots don't have the same impact as some of the things I have seen from Rogue Leader or even some other games.

Gary King

Second Unit
Although I know you're really just looking for reasons to dislike the Xbox, Morgan, it's probably worth pointing out that Tina's six pack *is* polygonal.
And enough people have played the game (or watched it being played) to comment that "these shots are exactly like gameplay" to pretty much put all speculation to rest. These shots are the real McCoy.
Now, you can comment all you want about how you wish Team Ninja included a high-order PDE solver to handle cloth animation, but seeing as Square can't get cloth animation correct in The Spirits Within, I think you're asking a *little* much when you demand it in real-time.
Just take solace in the fact that neither the Gamecube or the PS2 will be able to get wrinkles that nice, since they lack DP3 texturing.
I think the wavy reflections in the floor are fantastic... not to mention the subtle changes in reflectivity. And the facial animation is great. And it's less than 50 days until I get my hands on it.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I have admitted that the X-Box is ultra powerful and dwarfes the PS2 and GCN, but the true test will be the games. So far, I have heard nothing bad about DoA3, and I assume it will be better than DoA2 (which was excellent).
I thought the cloth animation in TSW was great. In fact, a lot of parts in the movie looked real, which I can't see videogames doing for a long time. Even if the animation was a little blocky in some parts, the visual quality was beyond anything I can see in FMV sequences in videogames (Final Fantasy X has the closest thing to it, but that is expected).
Back to the topic, Tina's six-pack doesn't look real. I think it would look better if she didn't have it (she would probably look more attractive, but isn't she a wrestler or something? Or is that just her dad?).

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone heard when the XBOX kiosks will be in the stores? I can't wait to get my hands on this.
-Dave
------------------
DVD List

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Morgan,
Look at the reflection in the floor. If that doesn't amaze you then you are just way too biased to the GCN. And you say you can see the polygons. Uhhhh look at those joints, I have a hard time telling where the polys start and end and meet. And finally look at the tits on the girl doing the splits, uhhh look at the way her dress folds. Personally Morgan its time to pull your head out of your ass. If you knew how hard it really is to pull that screen shot off, it would blow your freakin' mind. One thing is for sure, TECMO knows 3D engines.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Yes, the reflection is amazing. The only thing that could compare to that at all is the reflection of the water in the ICO demo for PS2 (that was the BEST water I have ever seen in a game).
I can see the polygon lines on some of their clothing and in some of the characters' hair. I didn't say you could see all of them, but some parts have very visible poly lines.
Yes, the folding of the clothes is amazing, but there are some parts where its just maps and not just good lighting and folds.
I never said this game didn't look amazing, but every new picture I see looks less amazing than the last. The game looks better than anything that will probably ever be on the GCN or PS2, but that doesn't mean that I can't be disappointed by it, because I have been. I expected a lot more from the X-Box, mainly because of all the hype its been getting.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks