What's new

Do rooms "flex" during use? (1 Viewer)

I haven't actually started putting together my HT room yet, but I wanted to get this answered before I did any work I might have to repeat.
Basically the question is: do the walls, ceiling, and wood floor of a room flex based on SPLs during HT use? In other words, does the sound make the walls bow out during loud passages? And if this is true, has anybody experienced any long-term damage, such as popping nails, detriorating drywall, etc? Should these rooms be made especially strong as compared to other rooms in the house?
Hope this makes sense. Thanks for any help.
Chris
------------------
Christian A. Sonntag
"The world owes you nothing. Take responsibility for your own actions!"

Tom Boucher

Second Unit
Real Name
Tom
This is just a thought, I have no scientific backing to pursue this thought, so please take this comment with a grain of salt.
Do you think any sound wave that was capable of damaging a room would do 10x that to your ear?
I'm just thinking out loud here, because I listen to music & HT at a high volume level for over a year or two now and I've got my hearing (sorta, heh) and there are no cracks in my walls.
I think this may be just like folks telling you that a CD Laser can burn through anything if it's not moving too.
------------------

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
If the walls flexed or bowed, that would be like your were building up pressure in the room and then releasing it, which is not what a sub does.
A sub can cause damage via vibrations. With any type of consturction, use screws in stead of nails where ever possible and glue, namely liquid nails. You should be pretty safe.
If you build the room solid, that will prevent most damage from occuring.
Peace Out~
biggrin.gif

------------------
The Green Room | Rons DVDs

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks