What's new

Do progressive DVD players do a better job at anamorphic downconversion? (1 Viewer)

DanN

Agent
I have a Panny RV-31 but I've noticed that it produces jagged edges on some of my movies, even though I've turned the sharpness down all the way. Someone told me that it may have to do with the downconversion of the Panasonic.

With that being said, what players do the best job at downconverting? Is a progressive player superior, even on a non-progressive TV? or should I stick to interlaced dvd players?

DanN

Agent
I should note that the RV-31 does a great job of downconversion on a regular TV but the jagged edges appear on my Tau - so I was wondering if it's just due to the nature of my TV (velocity scan modulation)

so if this is the case, should I get a soft downconversion player (like Sony) to compensate for the sharpness of my Tau?

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Theoretically a progressive player can do a better job of downconversion for 4:3 only TV sets, but I have no idea which of them do.
In fact the better downconversion (if done the better way) can be seen on it S-video output if that is re-interlaced from the progressive frames as opposed to constructed and downconverted directly.
Specifically if the player constructs the full frames and then downconverts (and then reinterlaces for the S-video out), the result are better than downconverting first, (outputting the S-video now,) and then constructing progressive frames.
More:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/vidscale.htm
There is no such thing as 480p S-video.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks