What's new

Do I want an HD DVR? I think so... but do they exist yet? (1 Viewer)

I currently have a front projection system, with dolby digital surround sound, and a DVD player. It's an all-digital system. HDMI from DVD-player into projector, digital optical audio from DVD-player to receiver. Very nice.

What I don't have is a TV signal. Until recently, I had Comcast digital cable, which had some nice HDTV channels and a DVR. But I dropped them when they raised their rates once again.

There are HD channels on-air, so I'm going to get an antenna. But I also need a receiver, and it must output HDMI and digital optical audio. There are some such animals.

But... I'd also like a DVR along with it. And I'd like to be able to download recorded programs to my computer, so I can do fun geeky stuff like burn them to DVDs.

I can't burn HD-DVD or Blue Ray, of course, but I can always downconvert to non HD.

Has anyone heard of such an animal?

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

Currently, there are numerous BD and HD recorders available (In Japan). The last press release I read, is that they were not considering shipping them outside of Japan.

There should be recorders for both formats available soon for your PC, though.

Hmm. So, for the short term, looks like I should just get a HD receiver. Any recommendations? Requires HDMI output, and optical digital audio output in dolby digital.

Lee Harvey

Auditioning
I have two DirecTV High Def Tivo's. HR10-250's I think. You can still find them around but they are getting scarce. Directv has thier own version of a High Def DVR but they are not as easy to setup and operate. They have both component and HDMI outputs on them. You would have to pry them from my cold dead hands. I think they are the greatest invention in the last 20 years! I think only flying cars would be a better invention, maybe?

Mike.B

Stunt Coordinator

I have the new Directv HD-DVR model, which replaced my old SD-Tivo. It's great, and I haven't had any problems. Definitely recommended.

see link

Ron Z

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ron Z
DirecTV's latest HD Sat receiver/DVR is the HR20. I got one which replaced my DirecTV HD sat receiver. I believe it has a 250GB disk which can store up to 30 hours of HD programming and 200 hours of SD programming. You should be able to get it for less than $100 if you sign with DirecTV.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

I received mine a few weeks back. The breakup of DirectV and TIVO is a real bummer. The new menuing system in the H20 is terrible, and DirecTv admits it. After spending (what seemed like hours) on the phone with them, I was finally transfered to a design technician. He informed me the DirecTV and TIVO will again be joining forces in the next three months, and in a half a year or so, we should see TIVO DVR and Menuing functions in DirecTV boxes again.

Ron Z

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ron Z
I never had a TiVo unit previously, but am aware of its capabilities. The thing I'd really like the HR20 to have is the ability to schedule recordings away from home over the internet like TiVo did. Right now you can only schedule a week or so in advance, which imposes some limits should you be on vacation or the like. I'd say just about all HR20 owners have online DirecTV accounts, so I don't think it'd be too difficult for D* to implement this feature.

Lee Harvey

Auditioning

So true! I have the two High Def Directv Tivos and one SD Directv Tivo and they are as easy to setup and use a an iPod. The one SD Directv DVR that I got later on is a PITA to setup. You cant set the stupid thing to only use one of it's SAT inputs like you can on the Tivo units. So it keeps going offline and poping messages up that SAT input 2 is down. I have made several calls for support from Directv since I got the thing. I have only had to make one call for support on my Tivo units over the past 4 years.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
best bet, build/buy your own HTPC and use somn like the ATI HDTV Wonder to cap shows.

when burning them to DVD5 or DVD9, download tssplitter to spread them across several blanks... but since external/removable hard disks are cheap these days, you should really think about moving stuff you're finished with to those disks.

if you really want to get into it, build/buy a persistent NAS yourself w/hotswappable sata disks =). 14+TB and you can remove stuff you don't watch anymore.

Joe Cole

Second Unit
I see that directv has come out with a new HD DVr the HR20-700. Would any one here have experience with it yet?

jervis961

Agent
Real Name
Cy Jervis
What I have read is alot of mixed reviews. Some people lovethem and others miss the Tivo functionality. I love my hr10-250 HD-Tivo but the HD locals and future programs cannot be handled by the unit. There are alot of tips and tricks posted on DBS forums that you can look into that are specific to the unit and even upcomming beta versions of software.

On another note....

Thomas (sorry can't seem to make myself cal you by PPLTD) did the Directv guy say if they would download the TIVO software to the h20-700 or if they would release a new box? I recently ordered the h20 and will cancel if a new Tivo box is in the near future.

EDIT:

I just saw that Thomas' comment was in November and since there have been no announcements about TIVO and Directv I guess the Directv guy was misinformed or speculating.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Actually, when I talked to the design tech, DirecTv was looking at a june or July (2007) time frame for this to happen. My guess is that it will be a new unit. I believe that there is firmware required for TIVO to work. It will probably require the purchase of a new receiver. Or if you have their insurance, complain about problems with your current unit and they will probably send you a replacement at no cost.

My assuption is that they are still in negotiations.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks