What's new

Do I have to use a receiver for Home Theater -- can I just use an amp instead? (1 Viewer)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Just curious. I was thinking of upgrading my receiver. But, since I only use my receiver for DVDs only, can I just buy an amp? What are you thoughts?

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
If your receiver has pre out jacks then yes you could just add a power amp to help off load that responsibility from your existing receiver. which reciever/speakers do you presently own and why do you feel you need to upgrade?

Kevin T

Screenwriter
i think he's asking if he can just plug his dvd player straight into the amp. the short answer is no you can't. the long answer is yes you can, but you will lose volume control unless your dvd player or amp has some way of adjusting the volume. i don't know of any dvd player that has volume control. also, amps with volume controls have adjustments for each channel (usually on the back) so if you want to turn up the volume, you'll have to walk over to the amp and manual turn all 5 knobs to lower/raise the volume.

a receiver is not an amplifier. it is an amplifier, preamp, and tuner all in one package. the preamp section of the receiver gives you remote volume control over your sources. most amps require just 1-2v for full output and most cd/dvd players output 2v. the preamp adjusts this signal so that you don't destroy your amp, speakers, or hearing.

maybe he has a high quality two channel system separate from his home theater so the only source for movie watching is a dvd player (though with a question like his i seriously doubt it). all i have connected to my receiver is a dvd player and a htpc that only plays mp3. i thought about hooking up the htpc to my two channel system, but i don't want to waste my tubes on lossy compressed music.

kevin t

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I don't listen to music or CDs (except in the car). I was thinking that maybe I don't even need to buy an "upgraded" receiver.

Currently, I own a Yamaha receiver which is about 5 years old. It's just been used for DVDs. It's 70 watts per channel. I paid around $400.00 for it five years ago from Best Buy. I've been happy with it -- but was thinking maybe I could get something else that would give better sound.

But, this seems to be in the speakers.

Currently, I am looking at buying the Infinity Betas or JBL Northridge. Currently, I have the Yamaha speakers (see my previous thread from the other day).

I'm just looking for the next step in audio quality for movies.

Thanks.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Question: With Blu Ray and HD DVD around the corner, will it require a new type of receiver to fully take advantage of the HD DTS and DD?

Can I buy that kind of reciever now (with an HDMI input), or is it not available yet?

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
You could but IMO I'd look at adding a power amp and speakers now and then when the dust settles upgrade the processor

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I upgraded my speakers today (went with the Infinity Beta 50s and Beta 250 center channel -- however, I think I'm going to try the 360).

They do sound better than the Yamahas; the highs are definitely better; dialouge is more crisp; overall, just more pure and theatrical sounding.

I'm running them with a Yamaha receiver (HTR-5240) at 70 watts per channel. While I don't listen to movies super loud, would I benefit from a receiver than gives them, say, 110 to 140 watts per channel? Would it sound better. I do like my Yamaha receiver and considered upgrading to another Yamaha --- or maybe just do the power amp? What do you think? Thanks.

mackie

Supporting Actor
Write up a review of your speakers. I haven't heard those and would be curious about what you think.

What's your budget for receiver or amp upgrade?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks