What's new

Do I have a ground loop problem? (humming sub) (1 Viewer)

Kris Special

Auditioning
So here's my system
Kenwood VR-6070
http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/pr...productId=2452
With the whole damn set of Cerwin Vega V series including this sub
http://www.cerwinvega.com/products/h...enter_12s.html
here's the problem, whenever I have the sub turned on, it starts humming loudly. The humming stops if I disconect the LFE cable or (of course) turn the sub off. NONE of the other speakers hum and I've tried hooking up the sub to two different receivers...same thing happens.
I've heard that I could have a ground loop problem from cable TV running into my receiver but I don't have calbe, I have Direct TV...could that still be it? All of my components are plugged into one big Monster power strip/surge protector and my outlets are grounded.
any ideas
I will love you if you help me fix this
thx

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
ahhhhhh, to be loved!
well for starters, disconnect the Direct TV and see if it goes away...post back.

Kris Special

Auditioning
tried that
no go

also, I found I had the LFE cable connected in the wrong direction

fixed that and still humming

a cheater plug wouldn't help (I don't think) since all the plugs on my system are two pronged already with the exception of the Monster power strip thingy

I don't know what else to do except try and get a replacement sub

RandyKudor

Stunt Coordinator
Be sure that none of your cables going to the subwoofer (rca interconnect cable) are not laying near or on top of any power cords. AC current = 60hz Hum...

-Randy

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
is there a grounding screw on the back of the sub? (link doesn't work for CW btw) if so try running a wire from it to say, the receiver, or the monster, or to the screw on the outlet...you get the idea.

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Kris.. A shot in the dark here.

I had a similar problem. I changed the cable and it went away. Made no sense to me because I used the same cable on another sub and the cable that was humming, worked fine. I attributed it to the FM theory.

Kris Special

Auditioning
K...maybe I'll go try another cable.

the link should be fixed now

It's the V-12S 300 watt sub..at least it LOOKS good =p

I'll check for a grounding screw but I don't think there is one

Kris Special

Auditioning
got a new cable and made sure it was hooked up right...still humming
there's no grounding screw....think I need a new sub? :frowning:
It wouldn't be that tough to replace but I'm just the kinda guy that doesn't wanna give up on it ;)

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
It might be time to do the dreaded unplug each item one at a time and listen for hum to go away.

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Kris, Do you have a friend who will allow you to borrow their sub for a short time period, connect it to your system and see if the problem continues before you buy a new one?

Rich X

Stunt Coordinator
Is your sub plugged into the wall or into the Monster power strip? I don't know which Monster you have but sometimes you can get grounding problems between components plugged into the same outlet strip. Some of those outlet strips can make your whole system sound worse. You may want to try plugging the sub into a separate outlet. I would suggest using a cheater plug for the sub, but I think you mentioned that it has a two prong plug anyway.

Kris Special

Auditioning
I don't know anyone who has a sub I can borrow and it shouldn't be too difficult for me to get a new one since I work at Best Buy. I'll get a hookup.

But if the new sub still does the same thing I'll be at a total loss. I've tried plugging the sub into a different outlet on another wall in the room and it didn't make a difference. I've only disconnected my dish while checking for a ground loop. I guess I could try with everything else. But if I found it, what do I do? Everything has 2-pronged plugs. Should I try connecting something like my DVD player into my Receiver? It has 2 AC outlets for other components. maybe that'd do it =

thx

Rich X

Stunt Coordinator
From what you have just described, I would try a new sub. These little hums can be maddenning.

I bought a brand new Anthem amp about a year ago, got it home and everything was fine for a few weeks. Then I started hearing this infernal buzzing. I tried everything-disconnecting and reconnecting every piece of my system, cheater plugs, etc. Nothing worked. Finally, I just took the amp back. I have a good dealer that I work with and they gave me a new one--no questions. After that, not a single problem.

Let us know how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks