What's new

Sub not working correctly (1 Viewer)

Tony Campbell

Auditioning
I have an older Sony subwoofer that has been giving me trouble lately.

I end up having to turn it off and back to reset it as it will emit a continuous humming sound (very loud as if it is getting a continual heavy input from the receiver) even when the audio output doesn't warrant the activity.

Since it is somewhat random I don't think it can be a ground loop issue--I do have it plugged into the same outlet as the receiver. I tried the polyfil mod, and also bought a new cable (Monster) and that didn't help.

If the sub is toast, I can accept that. However, I'd hate to buy another sub and find out it is the receiver or something.

Am I possibly overlooking something?

It is strange because sometimes I can get through an entire movie with no problem and other times it will need a "reset" several times.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to say it is a bad solder joint on the amp inside the sub as long as you have at least tried a new cable to it.

best of luck with it.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
I think sometimes a bad connection on the back of the receiver can cause this as well. Check that, especially if you moved the receiver lately or have it pressed up against a wall or something like that. I once had a similar problem and the rca out on the receiver was the culprit. Of course I looked there last.

MikeNg

Second Unit
Sure sounds like a bad connection, either at the terminal/post or the ground termination inside the sub.

Tony Campbell

Auditioning
How do I know if it is the receiver? I have tried reconnecting the rca cable to the woofer out on the back of the receiver. The receiver is about a foot away from the wall, so it is not getting pinched at all.

MikeNg

Second Unit
Try connecting one side of your RCA connection from a CD/DVD player directly to your sub, using the same cable you used to connect from the AVR to the sub. What do you hear? Any buzzing? If not, chances are it's your receiver connection.

Mike

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Have you tried using a different interconnect?

You could try connecting the sub via speaker level. If the buzzing/humming is still there, the sub has the problem.

Tony Campbell

Auditioning
Thanks!

I'll give the alternate connection ideas a try and see what happens. At least that way I'll know where the issue lies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks