Figuring my Ground Loop Out

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Steve Young, Mar 9, 2004.

1. Steve Young

Steve Young Stunt Coordinator

Steve Young
    I have been working on getting the ground loop hum out of my system for a couple of years now. It all started when I put my first amp (with a 3 prong plug) into my system. I then added a second amp (also with the 3 prong plug) for my subs. I then bought a Panamax MAX5100 hoping to fix my problem. In my system I have 2 satellite dishes so I could only run the antenna for one of them through the Panamax, because the other coax connection is for CATV. The only way I could get rid of the hum was to use cheater connectors on the amp cords, which isn't a good idea, seeing that I am an electrician and know the dangers of this. Well I did a test just the other day by hooking everything up normally and the hum was still there, which I expected. I removed the antenna connection going to the IRD that isn't connected through the Panamax and the hum disappears completely. Now what I am thinking is that all I need is another isolator for the other dish antenna cable. Does anyone know if there is such a thing for isolating a DBS cable on it's own, or do I have to buy another surge protector with the DBS protection built into it?

Sorry to ramble on.
    Thanks for any help.

Steve

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Yes there is. Jensen transformers has a variety of products that'll do that with neglible insertion loss. You've got to pick the right one for the frequecies in question but then that's what toll free #'s are for.

3. Mike Keith

Mike Keith Second Unit

4. Steve Young

Steve Young
    The problem is that the Sat uses a higher bandwidth, and the Panamax unit covers from 950Mhz to 2.2Ghz and 27V clamping. I guess I could always buy another smaller Panamax bar.

Steve

5. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Steve,

How is the grounding done on your antennas? If it’s going back to the electrical ground stake at the breaker panel, you shouldn’t have a ground loop problem.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

6. Mike_Skeway

Mike_Skeway Second Unit

I second what Wayne said.

Make sure the ground for your cable/ant/sat/etc. is the same (or if it even is connected) as the rest of your electrical.

When you disconnect it and the hum goes away, that is a good sign that it is not.

7. Steve Young

Steve Young
    Thx for the replies. I'm assuming when you say grounding of the antennas , you mean the shielding of the RG-6 coax?
    I think I used one of those grounding blocks and took the ground to the water pipe, but I am not sure if I did both dishes or not. If you think that that could be the problem, then I will make sure both shields are grounded back to the panel.

Edit: I just checked and both cables are grounded using a cable block and grounded to a water pipe. I checked with my multimeter and there is continuity from the shielding (ground block) to the nearest receptacle ground.
    Steve

8. Mike_Skeway

Mike_Skeway Second Unit

Yes, make sure they are all connected to the same place, i.e., your cold water pipe or where your mains ground is.

9. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    That’s to be expected, Steve, and it’s not a way to determine there’s not a problem. The problem is that if you grounded them to a water pipe, and your electrical is grounded to a ground stake, and the two of them aren’t connected somewhere, the electronics in your system have two paths to ground. That’s what causes a ground loop.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

10. MikeTz

MikeTz Stunt Coordinator

One note of caution. DBS (DIRECTV anyway) passes DC voltage along with signal down the coax so a transformer based isolator won't work with these systems. Panamax does make a DBS protector but I don't believe it's an isolator so it may not solve your ground loop.

Best way to tame a humming DBS problem is to make sure the system is properly grounded (a single point ground bonded to your electrical service box). Most DBS hum comes from improperly grounded systems. A ground rod that is not bonded to the electrical service entrance can cause a hum. So can connecting the ground to a copper plumbing pipe.

MT

11. Jeff W.

Jeff W. Stunt Coordinator