What's new

Do Any Of You Find This? (1 Viewer)

RogerH

Supporting Actor
I recently got into TV on DVD after being strictly a movie guy and I'm finding my movie habits are alot lessened than they were before. With me being on a limited budget as far as dvds go I find myself buying more TV sets than movies. Do any of you find this?

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
I go through phases. Right now I am in my movie buying phase. Last year was my tv on dvd phase, but since there isn't anything coming out now that I absolutely have to have I am working on my movies.

StacyV

Second Unit
I've pretty much been at 85% tv dvds, 15% movie dvds for the past year and figure that's how it'll be for a good while for me. Part of it has to do with the fact that a good chunk (not all) of the older movies I have any interest in owning have all been released, whereas the tv-dvd market has only tapped into a fraction of all that there is that could be released. Where I used to have a list of films I was waiting for on dvd, I now have a list of tv series. The format has made my interest in television in general greater, so I've pretty much succumbed to focusing almost solely on tv-dvd releases, it's no longer a phase for me.

Getting them as screeners don't hurt either.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I mainly buy TV, with a few exceptions here and there. I enjoy watching shows I've been interested in seeing but either never got around to watching, or were never shown in syndication around here. Plus, there's a lot of value. For under $50, I have something new to watch for a month.

Randall Cyrenne

Stunt Coordinator
A couple of years ago, I thought my heavy DVD buying days were coming to an end. My movie collection feels pretty much complete now except for the odd new sci-fi or animated films that I like. Most older films I would buy are out already, and consequently in my possession. However, the TV-on-DVD craze really started to hit back then, and I have been enjoying it quite a bit. (Too much even!) There are lots of TV shows that I am collecting now. And every time I think I have everything I could want, something else gets announced that I never thought would be released. But I think my only true "holy grail" series left is Batman, although I'm also a sucker for animation sets.

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
My movie buying has gone down an extreme amount. I now buy about 95% TV on DVD and 5% movies.

I am also on a limited budget... can only allow myself between $150 and $200 per month... depending on the month. And in my opinion you get so much more for your money with TV on DVD.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I'd have to say 80% TV on DVD and 20% movies sounds about right.

I'd have to agree... With the exception of Peter's Friends, all my have to have classic movies have been released. 95% of the movies I'm purchasing are new movies or SEs of non-SE stuff that was released earlier that I passed on (i.e. The Bodyguard, Batman, etc.)

The only TV show I have to have that's yet to be released would be Designing Women and from the sounds of it I have a while to wait.

Wezzo

Second Unit
I'm about 90-10 to TV: I'm much more interested in TV shows, and there's still plenty to collect and start collecting, whereas I have most movies I want. I have around 300 TV-on-DVD discs (probably 100 or so "sets") and plan to double it this year, but only about 35 movies and about 30 music DVDs.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I had a hard time resisting the season 1 TV box sets for $15 from the past couple of months because that's a lot of viewing time for such a small outlay of money vs. a movie that's $15 for a couple of hours of viewing time.

Of course, I realize it's a marketing move to entice people to buy the rest of the season box sets at their normal prices once the first season whets your appetite.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I've actually tried to cut back on TV, but I'm probably about 70/30 movies/TV right now. I guess it was just that a lot of TV sets tend to come out at the same time. Still, I like having something that you can throw in for an hour, which is great when you don't have time for a whole movie.

John Carr

Stunt Coordinator
Right now I'm buying 90%/TV versus 10%/movies on DVD. I suspect this will continue for a few years until high definition has picked a standard format. Then, for the last time, I'll re-buy all my favorite (about 500) movies when the prices have dropped to about where they are today for DVD movies.

Still, I find myself enjoying the TV on DVD experience far more than I ever expected and love the fact that I can watch a favorite show for a long time, and in some cases for hundreds of episodes! While the overall quality of TV is not great, I've been surprised at how many great shows there have been now and in the past. A most pleasant surprise and I'm really enjoying this 'new' pastime. I now spend a significant part of my free time watching TV shows.

It doesn't hurt that in the last 2 years there's been an explosion of releases, either!

It's also helped my marriage, in the sense that in the past most of our hobbies have been separate. Now, we can share something we both really enjoy! And, thanks to this Forum and TVShowsonDVD I've been 'discovering' some great blind buys which have made me a bit of a hero at home. A very nice and unexpected benefit!

It also came at a good time since I've got around 95% plus of all the CDs I've ever wanted and around 90% of all the books. Sadly, the crime/detective genra has been downsized seriously by publishing house consolidation and the obliteration of mid-list titles. Thus, there's little new coming out that I want to read so this was a great time to get a new hobby!

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Hello, Roger, great idea for a thread :)

Yep, you're "normal" or we're all "ab-normal" :)

I'm usually at 95% TV/DVD and have been for awhile. The few movies that I would like on DVD haven't been released yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks