Do all DVD players play DVD-Audio???

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Chris Tedesco, Aug 7, 2003.

1. Chris Tedesco

Chris Tedesco Second Unit

I am confused about this one. A Best Buy ad say that "all DVD players will play DVD-Audio".

I didn't think this was the case. I thought you had to have a special DVD player that specifically says it can play them.

Who is right???

2. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Your instincts are correct.

All DVD players will play the DD or DTS bit stream of the DVD-V layer of a DVD-A disc, but unless it is designed as a DVD-A/DVD-V player, a garden variety DVD player will NOT play the hi-rez DVD-A tracks.

BGL

3. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Just a word of caution concerning that Panasonic F65 player being sold now: it says it plays dvd-audio but its only in the fine print where it says it plays only the STEREO track of a dvd-audio disc.

The F85 model plays both the stereo & multichannel hi-res tracks of a dvd-audio.

Why Panasonic did this is a mystery and will only confuse the non-audio folks.

LJ

4. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

They can get away with that sort of comment because all DVD-Audio disks are spec'd to have a DVD-V layer that can be played on all DVD players (it can contain the usual DD, dts and/or stereo PCM tracks + video).

5. Kevinkall

Kevinkall Second Unit

I've noticed that SOME older dvd players have a hard time reading DVD-AUDIO discs and that they also have a hard time playing them.

6. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer