What's new

Do all DVD players play DVD-Audio??? (1 Viewer)

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
I am confused about this one. A Best Buy ad say that "all DVD players will play DVD-Audio".

I didn't think this was the case. I thought you had to have a special DVD player that specifically says it can play them.

Who is right???

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Your instincts are correct.

All DVD players will play the DD or DTS bit stream of the DVD-V layer of a DVD-A disc, but unless it is designed as a DVD-A/DVD-V player, a garden variety DVD player will NOT play the hi-rez DVD-A tracks.

BGL

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Just a word of caution concerning that Panasonic F65 player being sold now: it says it plays dvd-audio but its only in the fine print where it says it plays only the STEREO track of a dvd-audio disc.

The F85 model plays both the stereo & multichannel hi-res tracks of a dvd-audio.

Why Panasonic did this is a mystery and will only confuse the non-audio folks.

LJ

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
They can get away with that sort of comment because all DVD-Audio disks are spec'd to have a DVD-V layer that can be played on all DVD players (it can contain the usual DD, dts and/or stereo PCM tracks + video).

Kevinkall

Second Unit
I've noticed that SOME older dvd players have a hard time reading DVD-AUDIO discs and that they also have a hard time playing them.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
They can get away with that sort of comment because all DVD-Audio disks are spec'd to have a DVD-V layer that can be played on all DVD players (it can contain the usual DD, dts and/or stereo PCM tracks + video).
How Clintonian!

BGL

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks