What's new

DIY rack (1 Viewer)

jasonBarczew

Auditioning
what's the best place to buy 1/4 tempered glass for my shelves on my DIY audio rack. In a perfect world I would like the glass cut to specific size and smoked for a dark finish. Is this possible? At what price?

I'm in Missouri.

thanks

Joe L.

Stunt Coordinator
Just about any glass shop that does replacement windows will cut the glass to size to order. I had quite a few pieces cut to order and then tempered when I built my candy-counter and ticket window projects.

The 1/4 inch plate glass will be cut first, then the edges will be polished and/or smoothed and sanded to eliminate the sharp edges and to round them over for safety.

Lastly, the glass will be heat-treated to "temper" it and give it strength. Once tempered, the glass cannot be cut as it will crumble if any attempt is made. Most places will send the cut pieces of glass out for this step and it will take a few days to get it back from the tempering step.

The glass and tempering are priced by the square inch. The edge treatment by the inch.

Shop around, some places will be much higher priced than others.

Joe L.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks