What's new

DIY Canare Cable w/ Paladin tools (2 Viewers)

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I just finished making some Canare cables using paladin tools. Here's what i used and my experience...

Tools:

Paladin 8000 crimp handle - $21.99
Paladin 2649 crimp die - $20.75
Paladin economy coax stripper - $9.99 (3 blade)

Cables/Connectors:

L-5CFB (digital/sub cable)
V3-5CFB (component cable)
V5-5CFB (5ch cable)
RCAP-5CFB (RCA Connectors)

The 2649 die has hex crimp sizes of .324, .255, .068, .052, and .042. The .324 crimp was perfect for the main crimp on both cable types (L-5CFB and V*-5CFB). The .052 was near perfect for center-pin crimps w/ VERY minimal rocket tail effect. The stripper was not very versatile. The blade spacing didn't leave quite enough exposed dielectric, but this could be remedied by simply leaving more bare center connector exposed.

All in all, for less than $60 shipped in tools, it's a MUCH more economic way to go opposed to the Canare tools, or even the PE handle w/ the Canare die. I will be trying some of the other inexpensive stripper options (I.E. Radio Shack). The paladin strip tool did leave some to be desired.

I believe the reason I was able to find the crimp handle and strip tool so cheap online (yahoo shopping) is they appear to be surplus from Sprint (both tools have the sprint logo on them). The crimp die was still full price, but was retail packaged. Either way, $60 for paladin tools is much better than $220 for Canare tools, even if a bit more effort is required in the strip.

Here's a few pictures of the tools and the results:

Crimp handle w/ die and crimper:

Example Strip (L-5CFB):

Component Video Cable (example crimp):

Component Video / Analog Audio Cable:

Subwoofer Cable:

Doug E

Grip
Stephen

Nice looking cables. Thanks for the info on the tools and the pics. I am going to build my own cables soon, so I will check out yahoo shopping for those tools. Keep us updated on what you find with the different coax strippers.:emoji_thumbsup:

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I found the tools on Yahoo Shopping. I've finished my own cables but i have a few spare feet to play w/ different strip tools. I'll post results some time next week (have 2 tests to study for this weekend :frowning: ).

VinceS

Grip
Steve,

I was just landing on this solution when I found your post. I was looking at the same Paladin die but was looking to use Belden 1505a cable for my DIY interconnects. Here's some info I got from Canare on TCD-4C and TCD-451CA dies which I would need to use:

TCD-4C - Square 1.31mm (.0516"), 6mm wide; Hex 6.48mm (.2553"), 12.0mm wide

TCD-451CA - Square 1.35mm (.0532"), 6.0mm wide; Hex 6.40mm (.2522") & 8.36mm (.3294"), 14.0mm wide

Paladin 2649 die - Square .052" & .042"; Hex .068", .255", .324"; ?" wide

Both of the Canare dies are suitable for the 4-series RCA crimp on connecters (I confirmed with Canare) even though the spec for the 4C and 451CA dies are not identical (the 451CA is more expensive only because it include the extra hex crimp). As the Paladin die falls within the two it should be a perfect match. My one final question is how wide is the Paladin die relative to the Canare die and did you have to make one or two crimps? At 12.0mm it seems like a pretty big die but not being able to see either I don't know. Would you be able to measure and post back? Perhaps someone can get the 5C die information from Canare and post as a definitive reference.

now to figure out the stipper...

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The paladin dies are .397" (apx 10mm) wide. I did make 2 crimps, but it's not necessarry. The crimp is wide enough that it completely crimps over the connector. The second crimp only gives the crimp sleeve the same hex shape around the cable. This is probably pointless since w/ any strain the cable is going to losen the crimp around the cable (not around the connector) anyway.

The paladin handle won't hold the canare dies i don't beleive, so you can either use all paladin, all canare, or a PE handle w/ canare dies.

Hope this helps :)

VinceS

Grip
I was planning on going all Paladin - I just want to make certain it'll all work right. What about the width on crimping the center pin - the Canare die is 6mm vrs the 10mm on the Paladin. Did this present a problem?

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Actually, the center pin crimp is only .098" (2.5mm) wide. It worked perfectly for all my cables with a single crimp at the bottom next to the lip of the center pin.

Also, i'm measuring using a Craftsman Dial Caliper accurate to .001", then converting to MM using the built in conversion tool on a TI-89 graphing calculator.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks