Canare / Belden cables and non-canare crimpers

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Anthony Curtas, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Anthony Curtas

Hello,
    I'm getting into building my own component cables and can't find a straight answer on this, so I figure I'll ask here:

Can I use the parts express or paladin crimpers with the Canare ends and get a good result?

Aside from the cost aspect, I like the fact I can get other kinds of dies cheap for the PE and Paladin crimpers, without retooling (telephone, rj-45, etc).

I've read people who've failed and said get the canare tools only. I've read success stories. I checked the recommended sizes and none of the paladin or PE dies seem to come close to what Canare recommends.

All help is appreciated. Thanks.

Anthony

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Of course. The crimp-frame just applies pressure. I bought 3 of the $19 units from parts express. One has the Canare dies for RCA plugs, one for "F" plugs and the other for generic RG6 coax.

The trick is the die: it is the part designed to crimp things just enough, and no more and no less.

The other tricky part is the tripple-cut stripper. You CAN get away with some small tools and a sharp knife, but read the Canare manual to learn how much to strip back so the plugs fit correctly.

Hope this helps.

3. Anthony Curtas

Since posting this, I've dug around a bit more, and it seems the Paladin frame and crimp set do work well if you adjust them properly. so I will probably go this route. I will spring for the expensive canare stripper, though. Everybody seems to rave about it.

Thanks.

4. Ted Drain

Ted Drain Agent

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Outstanding page Ted. [​IMG]

It even shows the sizes of the Cuts you need to make if you did not pop for the expensive tripple-cut Canare stripper. I have only seen this info in a Canare catalog.