Cable Stripper Settings For Canare L-5CFB and V*-5CFB

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Stephen Hopkins, Sep 16, 2003.

1. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I posted this over in DIY w/ no response...

I'm getting ready to build some Canare cables using L-5CFB, V3-5CFB, and V5-5CFB cable and RCAP-5CFB connectors. I'm going to be using Paladin tools including their 3 blade economy stripper.

What I need to know is the cut depths for the three blades (I.E. conductor depth, inner shielding depth, outer shield depth). My cables/connectors arrived today and my tools are going to be here wednesday, so I'd like to have everything ready when they get here, including knowing the proper cut depths.

Also, what are the cut spacings... I.E. how far apart should the cuts be?

Thanks [​IMG]

2. KurtBJC

KurtBJC Agent

The easiest way to set the depths is trial and error--measurements really only provide you a starting place anyhow.

As for the lengths: you want a total strip length of 19 mm. This is: 3.5mm of completely exposed center conductor; 6.5mm of exposed dielectric with no shield; and 9mm of jacket removed with shield intact.

3. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

The C. White method shows the foil intact instead of exposed dielectric. Which is correct?

4. KurtBJC

KurtBJC Agent

Either is correct. You have to be really careful, though, with the foil on L-5CFB. It tends to fragment, and a little filament of it can wind up shorting your center conductor to the shield. For that reason, I tend to prefer stripping the foil. Your stripper probably won't do this, though, because it's a bonded foil--it's glued to the dielectric and has to be peeled off. And do make sure you don't have little fine bits of shredded foil on the end of the dielectric.

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Look at the Video Cable section of the Canare web site. It has a table listing channel, diaelectric and insulator outer diamater.

But Kurt is correct that a trial-and-error approach is good. Even with the actual Canare stripper, it's a good idea to cut ~ 1 foot of cable off and strip all 6 ends. Then cut these off and strip again. After 12 tries, you should have the feel for stripping.

Radio Shack/Hardware stores have a cheap $12 wire stripper that is like a small pair of sissors, but with holes for the center-conductor. This works great for cutting the foam from around the wire and pulling it off. (A razor knife also works great [​IMG] )