What's new

DIY bodywork for deep scratches.. (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
After running over a neighbor's scooter, I put a fairly deep scratch in my rear bumper on my MR2 Spyder, in a place that is hardly noticeable as it is on mostly the underside of the bumper. I had an estimate yesterday at a Toyota bodyshop who quotes me $680 (mostly labor@ 45/hour) when I just found out a new bumper (unpainted) is only $208. I wonder how much paint + clear coat would cost but I have to wait til the bodyshop is open before I call. Seems silly to fix something when a brand new one can be had for less or the same price. The MR2 uses bolt-on panels and I can replace the bumper myself because of that. It's also why bodykits are fairly easy to get and install although they're not cheap.

The reason the quote is so high is that the guy says they will repaint the whole bumper. I really think that in this case, it might not make sense because it is fairly hidden and not really too obvious, except to me. I am wondering if any of you have any experience in bodywork and DEEP scratches. Something I think I would try to sand down with a Dremel tool and then use touch-up paint and clear coat. Like I said, it's in an area where I feel I can do a good enough job not to be too noticeable if I'm less than perfect. Worst case scenario is I buy a new bumper anyway and install it myself. I have a picture of the scratch but I have to get it online soon. Any recommendations on what to use, like the right dremel tool bit and techniques?

Jay

Andrej Dolenc

Stunt Coordinator
Dag, sorry to hear of the damage to your car.

If the scratch is deep enough, why not try filling the scratch with a body filler (Bondo!), then paint that? I would think that sanding down an area would be somewhat noticeable.

Andrej

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Save the bucks, try it yourself. Worse comes to worse forget about it.. if you can :)

Leroy

Second Unit
A really good body shop would be able to spot repair and match the paint to the rest of the bumper rather than just repaint the entire thing. Sounds like a little padding of the bill to me (not surprising since it was a dealer bodyshop).

Take it to an independent bodyshop and get a second opinion. Otherwise, get some spot putty,primer,paint and fix it yourself. Especially if it's in a spot that's not easliy visible. There are some good compressed air can powered mini-sprayers that provied really good results (I painted my friends entire motorcycle with one)and are inexpensive.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I think that whatever scratched the bumper made little ridges in the bumper cover. I'm thinking of a dremel tool bit just to smooth it out. I mean just on close inpection it looks uneven. I could level it out with Bondo but I was afraid of making a mound. I think I'm really gonna take a look at it and see if I need to smooth out the peaks and fill in the valleys and then worry about paint and clear coat. Like I said, I'll try to post a picture tonight..
What kind of primer and clear coat should I use? I am gonna buy some touch-up paint from Toyota and not sure whether I should get clear coat from Toyota or not. The color of mine is a green metallic with clear coat.
Brent: I wish I could forget about it, but that is impossible! :) It only has 1450 miles on it.
Thanks,
Jay

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Link Removed
Link Removed
These are two small images.. The light scratches on the right are just very minor, just in the clear coat I already buffed out. The three larger ones on the left are the ones I want to get rid of. I went to another dealership today who told me the same rough estimate (their PC was down) but hear this:
Took me to a white van behind the dealership. I thought they were gonna try to sell me speakers :lol: but it turns out to be a small outfit doing minor body work and stuff. This guy will just do the area and then try to match the metallic paint as best he could. But only for $100. I'm more inclined to just do it myself if I can't get some recourse from Toyota if something goes wrong. I had some idiot in a dealership mess up a water pump installation in my BMW that I didn't find out til miles later and fortunately I was able to contact BMW NA who wrote me a check to cover the repair of the shoddy repair. Since then I'm reluctant to deal with non-dealership places. I think I'm gonna just do it myself. I'm afraid because of the metallic paint, if he's gonna do an area much wider than the three scratches and can't get a good match, I'll be SOL. However, if I just touch up those scratches myself with some patience and care, I think I can do a great job and I wont be doing an area larger than the scratches themselves. So I will be checking out primer and clear coat.
I've also heard this stuff, which I guess is like Bondo:
Langka
Supposedly works well but isn't cheap.
Anyway, I'll get it done sooner or later.. Now I'm gonna go back to biking to work damm it. :) I've driven the last two beautiful days cause I stopped by two dealerships.
Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks