What's new

Disney taking a "wait and see" approach on UltraViolet (1 Viewer)

Dave Vaughn

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not a fan of UV at all at this point. Too many hoops to jump through and its lack of integration with iTunes is a real bummer.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I have found the UV format very easy to use at this point. The quality is amazing for streaming, much better than Netflix. I really don't understand why others have problems with it. Maybe they just aren't technologically inclined. I don't know, but it has worked without a hitch for me, and I do hope Disney comes on board, because I have about 20 titles that I would like to upgrade to HD. So far I own close to 100 UV titles. I really hate the iTunes movie format because you can only play it on a very small number of devices.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I assure you I'm technologically inclined. That's not the problem. =)
I'll eat my hat if Disney ever joins UV. The only way that happens if UV fundamentally changes a number of their biggest problems, which being technical, I don't even know are technologically possible. =)
regarding hating the iTunes format because it only plays on a small number of devices: IF you ignore EVERY iOS device and every Mac ever sold there is still the 600 million (really, they just announced that this week) Windows 7 devices out there. Not to mention all the Vista, XP and upcoming 8 devices that iTunes runs just fine on.
I think what you meant to say is it doesn't run on Android. Right? If they played in a web browser would that satisfy you?
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/microsoft-600-million-windows-7-licenses-sold/79276

Craig W

Second Unit
Dave Vaughn said:
I'm not a fan of UV at all at this point. Too many hoops to jump through and its lack of integration with iTunes is a real bummer.
iTunes not embracing UV is because Apple wants you to purchase the content from them. Same reason they haven't adopted BD on their more than capable hardware.

Craig W

Second Unit
I don't like all hoops you have to jump through. Plus it kind of defeats the purpose of the it when its hit or miss if your content shows up at one Vudu provider vs another.

Craig W

Second Unit
Plus why is it when I pay the HD premium for some titles my UV copy is limited to SD?

Dave Vaughn

Stunt Coordinator
Furthermore, you have to have numerous user names and passwords for all of the participating studios, which is just a major PITA.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn /t/318340/disney-taking-a-wait-and-see-approach-on-ultraviolet#post_3935186
Those are my two biggest hang-ups with it.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I'm not just talking about Android tablets that iTunes won't play on. There are hundreds of devices, including many Blu-Ray players, DVR's, Smart TV's, Game Consoles, and Media Streaming Boxes that iTunes won't play on, but UV will play on all of them.

Jacksmyname

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Walder
I actually don't know if I have any titles that have UV included.
I have no interest in it or digital copy.
But the ability to watch UV on an Android tablet has me curious.
A few months ago I bought two Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tablets. Bought the first one
for my wife, thought she might enjoy it.
After setting it up, along with an Apple Airport Express for a wireless access point (my router is
not wireless), the next day I bought another one for me. A fun gadget.
I'm typing this post on it, sitting outside in the screened patio, having coffee.
I occasionally watch something from Amazon Prime on it, and it works fine.
So, while UV and digital copy haven't exactly been on my must have list, the ability to watch on my tablet might
just change that.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Joshua Clinard said:
I'm not just talking about Android tablets that iTunes won't play on. There are hundreds of devices, including many Blu-Ray players, DVR's, Smart TV's, Game Consoles, and Media Streaming Boxes that iTunes won't play on, but UV will play on all of them.
Awesome, so I can play my UV downloads today on Xbox, PS3 and Wii?

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
That's not entirely true on the PlayStation 3. YES you can access Ultraviolet movies purchased via Vudu from Walmart (or whatever you want to call that process), but NO you cannot access Ultraviolet digital copies that came with your Blu-ray discs via the Vudu application.
I own a PS3. I use Vudu to watch HD trailers. I just checked.

androvsky

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrew
MattAlbie60 said:
That's not entirely true on the PlayStation 3. YES you can access Ultraviolet movies purchased via Vudu from Walmart (or whatever you want to call that process), but NO you cannot access Ultraviolet digital copies that came with your Blu-ray discs via the Vudu application.
I own a PS3. I use Vudu to watch HD trailers. I just checked.
I think it depends on the movie. All of the free movies I got from Flixster giveaways show up in Vudu, I just watched a bit of Mortal Kombat. Vudu does have to already have the rights to stream a movie (along with the master and such), so you won't be able to stream movies through Vudu that aren't on the service normally. Otherwise, everything should show up.
Note, I'm not actually spending money on anything UV-related until they get the download format finalized and supported, so I can only do so much checking. :(

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I have redeemed 15 movies from codes through Flixster or the studio websites, and only one of them does not show up in my vudu account yet, and that is Journey 2. Hopefully they will get that fixed, but otherwise I have 99 movies that I can watch on an Xbox or PS3.

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
Really? Bastards.
I'm not able to check right now (I'm on the road for much of today and won't be back until Monday), but my copies of YOUNG ADULT, CONTAGION, MONEYBALL and a few others don't show up under my account.
So what would happen if I'd bought MONEYBALL (or JOURNEY 2, or something else they evidently don't offer) on DVD and took it into Walmart and paid my $5 for the upgrade? Out of luck?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks