What's new

Discuss: S&V review of Marantz 5400 (1 Viewer)

Fernando Saa

Stunt Coordinator
I have bipolar towers from Definitive Technology (BP30's) for fronts and the SVS BP2-plus. All channels set to small. These speakers tend to be bright. Would the Marantz 5400 or any other model be a good match to them in the audio department? Thanks for clarifying things in the power deparment. I feel more confortable about the latter now. Thanks again.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Quote:
I made the comment about the power ratings to try and put all the comments about the S&V figures in perspective. In isolation, a comment that the Marantz 5400 doesn't reach its rated power spec according to S&V makes the receiver look bad when it is, in fact, typical in its real output vs spec.
When did Sound and Vision indicate that the 5400 didn't put out its rated power?? When tested, the receiver put out *more* than it's rated power when all 6 channels were driven. S&V made this comment in the review. The actual numbers for all 6 channels being driven were not provided, just the results for all 5 channels being driven.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Quote:
Would the Marantz 5400 or any other model be a good match to them in the audio department? NO! I eventually dumped them for Polk LSI's,and my troubles are gone.If you not happy with the speakers get rid of them,or try room treatment. Cables and electronics won't do squat.

The latest failiure of power rating is none other but Pass Lab's XA-160 monoblock.This thing weights a 100lbs pure class A,and cost a cool $18k a pair of these.
The rated power is 160w into 8 ohms.
It was actually produced about 112w into 8 ohms.
Into 4 ohms it was 59w!
Yes it wasn't a typo. John Atkinson measured those in the Nov. Stereophile. He measured the same on the second unit,since a pair was reviewed.
And you thought you got what you paid for. ;)

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
One more time, John:

the question from JohnHa on the first page of this thread asked for a list of manufacturers that post accurate power ratings; the question didn't ask secifically about $500 receivers. Therefore, I offered Rotel as an example of a company that posts accurate power ratings. You're the one adding price ranges.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks