What's new

Directors DIRECTOR FILMOGRAPHY - The Films of TERRENCE MALICK (1 Viewer)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Updated with The New World (2005) :star: :star:

Pretty as a picture but so stultifyingly slow-moving it's practically standing still. If I had seen it in a darkened theater I would almost certainly have fallen asleep. Especially made for the goatee-stroking film snoot who doubtless would be staring at the screen in open-eyed wonder. :)

Bottom line: a cure for insomnia.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Let the record show I do not now, nor have I ever had a goatee.

I did have a mullet in highschool. :D

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
Seen: 4
Own: 3

Ranked (stars out of four):
The New World ****
The Thin Red Line ****
Days of Heaven ****
Badlands ****

Clearly the wait is worth it... Malick doesn't make another movie unless he thinks he can improve on the old one.

The Thin Red Line and Eyes Wide Shut tie for the best American film of the '90s, in my book.

Days of Heaven is one of the most-referenced films by filmmakers in existence. You can hardly turn on a commentary track any more without hearing a Malick name-drop. (Zach Braff on Garden State? You're kidding?)

Badlands is more influential than people know, and damn if it isn't one of the best "killer couple on the lam" movie out there, up there with Bonnie & Clyde... and waaay ahead of Natural Born Killers, True Romance and Kalifornia, among the countless other knockoffs.

The New World is a staggering, staggering film -- or, as Wim Wenders called it, a "monster"; it's one of his favorite films ever. Maybe it's not a movie that audiences enjoy, but it's importance to other artists is immeasurable. Like Days of Heaven, this movie will only grow in stature until it becomes utterly synonymous with "cinematography". As a narrative it's Malick's most ambitious film; formally and emotionally profound, it's his greatest all-around achievement.

It's a bit painful that his movies are so despised - Malick's career echoes Kubrick's and Orson Welles's. Misunderstood, resented for being challenging and intellectually superior to his audience, it's easy to see why his films are hated, but also a shame. His films are more rewarding than any other filmmaker alive, at home or abroad.

I'd bet my life that 100 years from now, Malick is considered one of the ten greatest directors ever to pick up a camera.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
As the great Michael Winner would say 'calm down dear it's only a movie', Elijah you're only 21, if you're not careful you'll turn into Bill McA :laugh: get out more, have some fun, the way you go on about Malick and Wong Kar-Wai anyone would think you'd been drooling over their films since the age of 5. For a contrasting view of 'maverick' film bore Malick check out my two posts above. ;)

Jonathan_W

Grip
The New World - :star: :star: :star: :star:

The Thin Red Line - :star: :star: :star: 1/2

Days of Heaven - :star: :star: :star: :star:

Badlands - :star: :star: :star: :star:

Martin Teller

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Teller
The New World (2005) - 9/10
The Thin Red Line (1998) - 9/10
Days of Heaven (1978) - 9/10
Badlands (1973) - 7/10

Man, some people on this forum have no taste at all.
Edited by Martin Teller - 8/9/2009 at 07:23 pm GMT

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor

The great Michael Winner? Sorry, but a guy who dislikes Malick and champions Winner doesn't sound like he takes cinema for an art form. If he did, he would evaluate the two filmmakers in a very, very different light.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks