What's new

digital optical cable with Tivo 2 (1 Viewer)

alex robert

Auditioning
Is there anyway to use digital optical audio cable with Tivo 2 (as a stand alone) with a regular direcTV receiver? I currently have the digitial optical line from my directv receiver to my av receiver. There are only RCA jacks on the TIVO 2 unit. If I leave the RCA cables from the Direcv receiver to the Tivo 2 unplugged, I only get live audio. Also, with this same configuration, sound arrives before the picture (i.e., can hear it before they say it).

Pamela

Supporting Actor
I had a similar problem. Unfortunately, Tivo is delayed a second or two, so if you're running your sound directly from the satellite box to receiver, the audio won't match the picture. You have to run the RCA cables through the Tivo and remove the digital optical. Hope this helps!

Michael Lomker

Stunt Coordinator
This is one of the reasons that I recently got rid of my Tivo. The other is that I LOVE high definition programs but it can't record or tune into them (you can't run high-def through s-video outputs). It turned into a deal killer for me. Giving up 5.1 Dolby Digital on some movies for the sake of having the Tivo wasn't worth it.

If you're willing to spend the money you could rent a 2nd cable box and have one for the Tivo and one for watching live TV. I personally didn't think it was worth it, but some people really love their Tivo's.

Pamela

Supporting Actor
If you're willing to spend the money you could rent a 2nd cable box and have one for the Tivo and one for watching live TV.
This was the only drawback I found with the TiVo, albeit, a big one. I haven't gone HDTV yet, so that's not a problem, but miss the 5.1, too. I have been thinking about taking my second cable box out of the bedroom and hooking up to my main system since I never use it. I really, really love my TiVo! :)

GordonL

Supporting Actor
If your DirecTV receiver has multiple A/V outputs, what you could do is hook one set to the Tivo and the other to your A/V receiver but as a different source. That way, you can use your A/V receiver to switch between them as if you had two different sources. You won't be able to use Tivo's features whenever you're watching 5.1 stuff but at least the audio/video will be in synch. The only other solution is to use a DirecTivo box which does record a 5.1 signal.

Pamela

Supporting Actor
u don't need a 2nd cable box
just get a coax splitter
Unless I'm missing something here, that won't work. I already have the signal split, with one going into my cable box and the other straight into the TV's second input. Because the second line goes into the TV without the box, it only gets fed the analog channels, which are not broadcast in 5.1. Not to mention the fact that my TV has no digital audio output, so without the cable box, the whole point is moot.

DonJ

Second Unit
That's what I like about the dish network I have the 501 with 35 hour of if recording and still have DD 5.1. But it does not have HD or Component output.

Doug_L

Stunt Coordinator
Pamela,

Take a second look at what GordonL suggested. I don't know what your system consists of, but there may be a couple of different ways you could go, as he's suggested.

I have my Tivo set up as a seperate loop, as I still watch a great deal of OTA programming. Briefly, I take the s-video and digital audio out from the cable box to my reciever, preserving DD5.1 sound where available. I use the composite-out and RCA cables from cable box to Tivo, and then use Tivo's comb filter to send the signal to the receiver with s-video and RCA's (note: Tivo's comb filter isn't the best, but then again, neither are it's recordings at Best quality with s-video in, either. I don't mind the slight drop in quality as the device it primarily about convenience for me). Set up this way I can watch TV live with DD sound, TV live through Tivo (w/ delay) and analog sound, or Tivo pre-recorded material with analog sound.

Your setup may be different (BTW I also have an S-VHS set up on its own loop as well, as it's comb filter is not too great either), but if you have enough flexibilty in your components it is possible. If you rarely watch live TV, though, I can't see why you'd go through all of the trouble.

Good Luck.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Unless I'm missing something here, that won't work. I already have the signal split, with one going into my cable box and the other straight into the TV's second input. Because the second line goes into the TV without the box, it only gets fed the analog channels, which are not broadcast in 5.1. Not to mention the fact that my TV has no digital audio output, so without the cable box, the whole point is moot.
How many types of a/v outputs does your cable box have? For video, mine has both S-video and composite. The composite goes to TiVo, while the S-video goes to the TV (actually the pre/pro, which then goes to the TV). For [a]audio[/b], the box has both analog L&R and digital coax. The analog goes to the TiVo, while the digital coax goes to the pre/pro. So if I want 5.1, I just set my pre/pro to "TV" and watch the program "live". If it's recorded on TiVo, I select that on the pre/pro.
This whole setup is done without any cable running from the box to the TV.
M.

alex robert

Auditioning
Thanks for all your responses. The easiest way to solve the problem was to return tivo2 and my other satellite receiver. I then got a combo sony (directv/tivo1) for 200$ cheaper!!! It works much better!!--better pic, 5.1, changes channels faster, dual tuner---I now am happy :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks