What's new

Different cases for the same disc? (1 Viewer)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Noticed something a little strange over Christmas. Both my brother and I got a copy of Shrek, but they were in two different kinds of keepcases. His was bought at Costco, and was in the standard single case with the flipping plastic (like Galdiator). Mine though, was bought at Wal-Mart, and had a case where the flodout comes out overtop of the liner notes, and the two discs face each other. Does this mean that Wal-Mart prints their own discs? I know that Columbia house does in some cases, since I've seen CDs with different track orders (and sometimes different tracks) from the retail version. Is wal mart doing this with DVD?

Britton

Screenwriter
The same DVDs do come in different cases. My Dad bought a copy of Shrek from Circuit City and it came in the same case you have. Besides, it sounds like you have the second Shrek disc with the widescreen version, which rules out any possibility that Wal-Mart pressed it.

Lafe F

Second Unit
And I've seen Grinch DVDs in green cases and black cases, for both widescreen and pan-and-scan.

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
I noticed the same thing. I got Shrek for christmas from my mom, and it was in the Mummy Ultimate Edition style case, then, later that week, she bought a copy for herself which was in the Gladiator style case, which I preferred. So, I distretely switched the two copies, and brought mine home.

She'll never, ever, know the difference.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
What I understand happens is that the production facilities run out of one kind of case, so they get their hands on whatever they can for a while. The, when the preferred one becomes available again, they go back to using it.
No big deal, really. What's funny is that somewhere out there will be some uber-collector who will want to own every DVD ever released, including "box variations" :D
(I know some Atari 2600 cartridge collectors who do this for "label variations").

M

MaxY

How bout, Way of The Gun which seems to have two different covers out there?

Then there was T2 which had a Single DVD 18 version and then Twin Disc version as well.

Max

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
How bout, Way of The Gun which seems to have two different covers out there?
I've also seen that Woody Allen's Manhattan has too (very slightly) different covers out there. In fact, my local Best Buy has both sitting side-by-side on the shelf! :)

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Chris, I am confused as to what your case looks like. I re-read your post, but am still not clear. Can you explain it for me one more time?

Neil White

Supporting Actor
And Rush Hour 2 with Tucker and Chan on different sides on two versions of the cover art.

N

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks