What's new

Difference Between THX Ultra and THX Ultra 2? (1 Viewer)

PatrickTy

Grip
>>As far as the MusicMode or ANY of this stuff being what the original people had in mind... who the heck knows?

RichardMA

Second Unit
The facts are there for anyone to see. THX has:
-Watered down and stopped policing theatrical installations
that wear the THX badge, long ago. They claim otherwise.
Anyone who knows good theatrical sound from bad can tell
you they are full of crap.
-They have watered down their home THX specs AND added
upper-end home THX specs for some equipment. There is one
reason for this; Money. They can certify more units that
formerly FAILED the old standard THX spec and they can charge high royalties for the THX Ultra and Ultra 2 enhancements.
-They are looking to start certifying other things besides
a narrow range of home theater equipment with various THX
ratings, especially computer speaker set-ups (what specs
can any of that JUNK meet anyway?). You have tiny little
satellite speakers with poorly constructed subwoofers, resulting in wide frequency gaps. Of what value will any
"standard" these can meet be? In fact, THX, if it had any
value in speaker certification would NEVER badge one of
those satellite-sub combos where the satellites start to loose bass response at 300hz while the sub is being asked to reproduce bass from 300hz on down? Whatever happened to
"non-localization" of the subwoofer by ensuring it's crossover never allowed frequencies over 80hz to come out
of the sub??
What to expect in the future:
-Expect THX to massively broaden the categories of products
they "certify" and look for more and more "levels" of certification from meaningless to substantial in order that
THX makes more MONEY.
IMO, THX started losing credibility when it first THX certified VHS tapes, then the theatrical standards started to slip with the introduction of multiplexes, and on it's gone. I had MOST respect for THX when they introduced
laserdisc certification and even THEN, Criterion did a better job than THX EVER did.
You'll have to excuse me, my THX certified bread just popped out of my THX certified toaster, my THX coffee is
ready and my car's THX certified battery just died.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Yes, but the "Ultra2 MusicMode" is NOT what the mixers had in mind when a 5.1 mix was done. It might sound "nice," but it's not the same as THX Re-EQ, etc, where the intent is to accurately convey the original.
Patrick,

Did you ever think that if you don't like the THX processing to just turn it off? It is giving you an option, which some users may enjoy, but nowhere does it say you have to use that option. Just look at it as any other DSP.

J

Larry Becker

Agent
Patrick,
I agree with the watering down of the THX badge, especially because of the example you cite on the little weenie computer speakers. What movie theater experience do they want us to believe they are recreating with THOSE?
Still, as Justin notes, it's an option. When I get a new DVD, I try a couple of them to see which works best with my system. I think I nearly caused an end-of-the-world cosmic event the other day because I set my DVD player to send the DTS datastream and then, on top of that (God forgive me), I had my receiver set to THXUltra2. Oddly, it sounded pretty good, but I quickly changed before the MIB's came to um, what were they going to do, um who am I, what was that flash of light?
Sorry,
Larry:D

PatrickTy

Grip
>>THX has:
-Watered down and stopped policing theatrical installations
that wear the THX badge, long ago. They claim otherwise.
Anyone who knows good theatrical sound from bad can tell
you they are full of crap. >>

Fully agreed! And they allow a theaters own tech's to re-certify an installation! Do you think a tech will risk thier job by telling thier employer that the system didn't meet spec????

>>...THX started losing credibility when it first THX certified VHS tapes...

DanielSmi

Second Unit
I've never read anywhere that THX said that the THX MusicMode was more accurate and was what the producer intended. THX Ultra2 is basically giving you the option of using your back surround channels for all surround formats. Since I have a 7.1 setup I want to use those back speakers whenever possible and I think a 5.1 source sounds better with Ultra2 than with THX Cinema. I think most people that have an Ultra2 system with a 7.1 setup will agree with me. With a 5.1 source without Ultra2 the area behind your head is somewhat empty but with it it fills in that empty spot so the soundfield goes all the way around you very enveloping. Here's what my 49TX manual says about Ultra2 and THX MUSICMODE: When played using THX SURROUND EX, the surround field may actually sound narrower on some earlier Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 channel sources than with THX CINEMA processing. THX ULTRA2 CINEMA creates two extra channels from these sources and plays them through the surround back speakers. When presented with a multichannel digital signal the VSX-49TX automatically selects THX Ultra2 Cinema mode. This mode plays 5.1 movies using all 8 speakers giving you the best possible movie watching experience. In this mode ASA (Advanced Speaker Array) circuitry will automatically detect DTS-ES (Matrix and 6.1 Discrete) and Dolby Digital Surround EX encoded soundtracks for correct playback using all 8 speakers. Please note that some Dolby Digital Surround EX soundtracks are missing the digital flag that allows ASA to switch automatically. Therefore, if your know that the movie that you are watching is encoded in Surround EX, you may manually select the THX Surround EX playback mode. THX MUSICMODE is for Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 channel sources that were not produced for a theatrical release-typically music. This mode creates two extra channels of natural, ambient sound and plays them through the surround back speakers. On some music DVD's the surround sounds are mixed quite differently than surround sounds mixed for movie soundtracks. ASA technolog optimizes the playback of 5.1 encoded music sources such as DTS, Dolby Digital and the analog input from DVD-Audio player. Using all 8 speakers the THX MusicMode provides a wide stable rear soundstage, placing surround sounds best suited for music playback. THX ULTRA2 and THX MUSICMODE are just processing enhancements for 5.1 sources and think they sound better than standard 5.1. Kindof like Logic7 but different.

Daniel Smith

PatrickTy

Grip
>>I've never read anywhere that THX said that the THX MusicMode was more accurate and was what the producer intended. >I think most people that have an Ultra2 system with a 7.1 setup will agree with me.

joe logston

Stunt Coordinator
i think that all this THX crap is just to make more money for george lucus, how in the hell dose he know what your home theater requirements are, all it is a horse shit gimmick.
T
H
X

t
o

h
e
l
l

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
i think that all this THX crap is just to make more money for george lucus, how in the hell dose he know what your home theater requirements are, all it is a horse shit gimmick.
I am surprised it took this long for the Lucas bashing to begin.

Bottom line is that if you don't like THX, don't buy equipment bearing the certification. I have never seen a case with equipment where THX certification has hurt a product. If anything it adds processing which many find useful. Once again if you don't like their additions don't use them/buy them.

J

JordanHT

Auditioning
Actually, in response to a comment in regards to computer speakers with the THX certification, many THX speakers are very nice setups. I for one have a set of ADA885s, they kick butt. I can't remember if the Klipsch Promedia 5.1 systems are THX certified, if they aren't, then im disappointed.

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
The Klipsch Promedia Line is THX certified across the board.
(2.1 / 4.1 / 5.1)
Why would you need THX certification in a 2.1 config?:frowning:

RichardMA

Second Unit
I am surprised it took this long for the Lucas bashing to begin.
You also said that THX certification never hurt a product.
Maybe not. But then neither does a 3/4" thick gold plated
front panel, but it certainly adds nothing to a component.
Bashing is usually a term used by people who don't like
their decisions to buy something questioned. Legitimate
concerns regarding the value of THX and it's certification
program (theatrical and home) have been raised. Anyone who
has followed THX certification from the beginning knows
the issues surrounding it. They might as well be addressed
before someone buys just because the equipment has a THX
badge and "someone" tells them it means something important.
IMO, rather than the mfg. spending $25 per unit for THX
basic certification, I'd rather they spend them money on
a better transformer or DAC. I'd also like to point out if
$25 doesn't sound like much, it's the total cost of parts
needed by a mfg. to put a 100wpc power amp in a mid-priced subwoofer.

joe logston

Stunt Coordinator
hi justin,
with the thx on the product, all it dose is raise the price of the product, from the roalties for having the thx lable on your box.we should find out how much extra you have to pay for having the lable, thats the question we need to find out

thanks

joe logston

Stunt Coordinator
sorry, i didnt read the last post so it $25 per unit, just think how many units they sell with the lable, 20 or 30 million units, thats $300,000,000 dollars, with 20 million units sold.

GordonL

Supporting Actor
sorry, i didnt read the last post so it $25 per unit
It's not $25 per unit, it's more like $5 or $6, if that. That's just Richard pulling crap out of his ass. If you read any of his posts, none of his opinions are based on fact. He's good at spreading mis-information - he's got you believing it. :)

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
That's why Tom Holman is no longer with THX... that and thier decision to certify pan/scan transfers.
To my knowledge TH left to pursue his own things and he was only involved with TAP and Home THX[hardware] not software certification.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks