difference between canadian and U.S movie ratings

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan L B, Feb 15, 2002.

1. Ryan L B

Ryan L B Supporting Actor

The main thing I don't get is how could a movie like Hardball get a canadian rating of a PG when there is a whole lot of language in it when it is PG-13 here and why Rebel Without a Vause got a canadian rating of 14 and it wasn't that bad in my opinion. Could someone explain this.

2. Luc

Luc Stunt Coordinator

Ryan, I love reading all your questions. It always make my day. Love your confusing ending thread [​IMG].

3. Luc D

Luc D Second Unit

They vary from province to province. The main difference is that our rating system makes sense. [​IMG]
    In Quebec we have G (anyone can get in), 13 (13 and older only), 16 (...you get the jist at this point). Main difference I suppose is that nudity isn't such a target for harsh ratings. As for Hardball, well, if it's only language then I don't see the problem. Foul language isn't such a big deal here, local stations don't edit naughty words out of primetime broadcasts.

4. Ryan L B

you are all very lucky since you can't say god damn here on any tv station except for premniem cable.

5. Terrell

Terrell Producer

Wasn't there a story about a country in Europe giving Hannibal a "G" rating and parents being livid? I thought I remember reading that somwhere. Maybe it was Australia.

6. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

Here's BC's rating system, which was redone and mandated in January, 1997:
    G - All ages admitted
    PG - Parental Guidence Suggested - All ages admitted
    14a - All ages admitted over 14, those under 14 must be with an adult 19 years or over.
    18a - All ages admitted over 18, those under 18 must be with an adult 19 years or over.
    R (Restricted)- No one under 18 admitted under any circumstances.
    So there you have it. I think the only difference between this and the MPAA is that PG-13 is all ages admitted and 14a requires an adult. R is our NC17, but has only been used for extreme films; in fact, the only films I believe under this rating are:
    -Requiem For A Dream
    -Crash
    -Bully
    -Fat Girl
    -The Center of the World
    -Romance
    -Base Moi (Rape Me)
    -Pink Flamingos
    The Shining was also rerated R I believe.
    Also, you can get as low as a PG rating here for repeated use of "Fuck" and nudity, but there are variants:
    -In using "Fuck", if it is used sexually in any way, it can get a 14a or 18a, but if used in any other form it can get a PG depending on the other material. The same goes for "Shit."
    -With nudity, if it is non-sexual (ie. Cynthia Stevenson baring her breasts in "The Player" or Jude Law standing up out of a bathtub with a quick frontal shot in "The Talented Mr. Ripley) it can get as low as a PG rating. Hell, even "Nobody's Fool" which had Melanie Griffith flashing topless and a strip poker game with prolonged topless shots, still got a PG rating!
    Anyways, hope that helped. BC is pretty good with their ratings system, and I support them fully.
    Jason

7. Markus Lidstrom

Markus Lidstrom Stunt Coordinator

I believe 'Gangster No 1' also recieved a Canadian R rating.

8. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

Sounds like you saw that on the DVD case (which was most likely rated R, haven't seen that disc yet). That's a Canadian Home Video rating card that is completely independent from the provincal classification boards.
    In BC, that film was rated 18a for theaters.
    Jason

9. Ryan L B

now how did the south park movie get a 14a with language, nudity, graphic violence, and adult content. Many are sayign that it should of gotten an NC-17 out here.

10. Mike Graham

Mike Graham Supporting Actor

The R rating in Canada seems to be used few and far between. Out of last year's big releases, most of which were rated R in the states, I can only remember half a dozen that were restricted here : "From Hell", "Training Day" and "Kiss of the Dragon" to name a few. Oddly enough, "Slackers" and "Hannibal" both earned 14A ratings.

11. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Stunt Coordinator

A recent example of the rating weirdness is Todd Solondz's Storytelling which has shown uncensored in Canada. The US prints have red boxes on a scene which i found to not even be that offensive...other than the language.

12. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

13. Markus Lidstrom

Markus Lidstrom Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, I just looked at my case.

I might have to check that out at the vic, but I'm fairly broke after getting addicted to the film festival that was in town.

14. Geoffrey_A

Geoffrey_A Second Unit

Here's a good one. Billy Elliot was rated R in America while it's rated PG in Canada. The biggest difference I see between the ratings systems is that violence is okay with the American rating system, while language is not. The opposite being true in Canada. Still, I can't for the life of me figure out how Billy Elliot got an R rating in America, it seems ludicrous to me.

15. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter