What's new

Did you know-JEM! DVD Out of Print Already (1 Viewer)

Dorrie_W

Stunt Coordinator
This might be late news. Did you all know that technically Jem and the Holograms, the DVD's that were just released in 2004 are out of print?A couple of months ago it was determined in the HTF that Rhino didn't have the rights to Jem (or GI Joe I was told) and that Sony acquired the rights.

Rights change quite often, but it is rare that I have seen a show just go out of print. You can still buy GI Joe, but not Jem. Check for yourself. You can't get it at Amazon. It's no longer on the Rhino page. You can find it at bestbuy.com backordered for $69 (season 1 &2)

I don't know if Best Buy has their own warehouse or if they ship items from a distributor, but maybe they have some copies because they are selling season 3 for $43--about average.

I found out about this because you all know I have Amazon affiliate links on my website. When I saw a credit for $6 and some change and another one for $4 and some change i looked at the product. Someone paid $169 to buy Jem from the Amazon Marketplace.

Here is the Amazon page for Jem Season 1http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...l/-/B0001LJCUM

Lesson to be learned, when one of your favorite shows comes out on DVD buy it soon.....
Now I only hope Sony releases Season 3 part 2 to complete the series and the other sets again soon.

I just thought when something came to DVD it was here to stay, at least for a few years, Jem has only been out about 15-16 months, Season 1 came out March 30th 2004...

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I'm not really surprised, given the fact that Rhino has lost the license to produce more DVDs and the original pressing run was probably much, much smaller than say, G.I. Joe.

Glad I have mine! :)

Dorrie_W

Stunt Coordinator
That's a good point. I'm glad I have mine too.
I just hope I can complete the series in this decade. I mean I was so excited when the show finally came to DVD and after the first sets came so quick I just knew I would have the Riot and Stinger episodes soon. I loved so many of those later episodes like "Video Wars" and "Midsummer Nights Madness," and "The Day The Music Died"

I WANT THE REST OF MY JEM! WAH WAH:frowning:

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
Didn't Rhino say in that letter they sent out that Sony was going to rerelease these in some undisclosed time in the future? Still, I wish I picked up that second box and didn't sell my Transformers and G.I. Joe's when I needed cash and there is no way I can buy those again for a few months.

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
I still need to pick up Season 3, Part 1.

Fortunately, a few retailers in Philly still have them.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
There are still many copies at B&M's in Omaha, including Best Buy. I didn't know these were OOP. Ridiculous prices on e-bay, huh? Personally, I thought the prices on them to begin with were pretty damn ridiculous.

Dorrie_W

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah I saw the thing about Sony releasing them at a later date but the way Sony is who knows when that will be. This Sept it will be a year since Different Strokes S. 1 was released and there hasn't been an announcement about season 2 or if more seasons are coming. I dunno.. The Jem sets were high but I think they know us fans really wanted them. I bought both of mine at Amazon...

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

you'll be glad to know, Sony says season 2 is coming according to a pamphlet inside Bewitched

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
There are still many copies at local retailers around my city.

I'm hesitant to pick these up before seeing what Sony does with the Franchise though. I too sold most of my Rhino 80's cartoon catalogue and have considered repurchasing but am concerned that Sony might offer something better, perhaps additional content, fixing up some of the mastering glitches and video/soundtrack errors, or even price-wise. I'd also be very dissapointed if I were to go out and repurchase all my Transformers, G.I. Joe and Jem sets only to find that Sony wasn't going to stick to the same packaging format or something and all my sets would look mismatched and out of place. The only one I plan on picking up in the next couple of months is My Little Pony and only because it is complete and there would be no need to wait for a reissue from another srudio. The rest, I think I'lll hold off on. I really hope I don't regret this decision in a few months. I trust Sony's TV-animation unit though. They seem to be on the ball and aware of what their customers want.

Dorrie_W

Stunt Coordinator
Wow thanks for the Different Strokes info. I was pleased with the JEM sets for the most part. Most fans noticed that when the Misfits sand "Suprise, Surprise," during the episode "World Hunger Shindig" the sound went a little crazy, but other than that I was pleased with set 1. Set 2 was okay. Same title screens as set 1 and with my Season 3, under special features it says "B-Roll Footage." I couldn't find that. I haven't looked too hard. Is that the same as the Jem Bible that was included on set 1 any know?

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
DVD Toons just announced that Sony Music (which owns the rights to Jem) were going to release multi-disc sets for The Legend of Zelda and Super Mario Bros. cartoon. Now, if they see an audience for these shows, hopefully they will also see fit to re-release Jem and G.I. Joe, especially if EBay is selling these for big bucks.

I hope that Sony Music is sort of a smaller division within Sony that might be more open to releasing niche items like cartoon sets and some of their genre films.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks