What's new

Dialog-Normalization & accuracy issues on the HDM lossless codecs? (1 Viewer)

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Dialog-Normalization & accuracy issues on the HDM lossless codecs?

Purpose of this thread:
To strive for "bit-for-bit accuracy" on the HDM lossless codecs.

What is known about dial-norm and DD TrueHD:

From another post:
link
FilmMixer
Marc Fishman
Re-Recording Mixer, ToddAO Studios
Studio City, CA
Film Sound and Post Production Insider

My first question is to ask if dial-norm can be turned-off or "by-passed" when and if studios use it on DTS-HD MA titles?
We already know it can't be "by-passed" on DD TrueHD.

Paul

Roogs Benoit

Stunt Coordinator
Originally Posted by MSmith83:

"I just listened to Shoot 'Em Up. The first thing I noticed is that the MA extension is significantly lower in volume than the core. When cranked to volume match, it is further evident that it's like listening to an entirely different mix. The MA extension has even deeper bass, but the most significant difference was the increased spaciousness of the effects and seemingly better channel separation.

This doesn't make sense. There should be no difference in amplitude between the core track of DTS_HD MA and the full file including the extensions.

Sounds to me like there is a possible set-up issue with the receiver.
Why would the core sound "significant difference was the increased spaciousness of the effects and seemingly better channel separation."

Better channel separation and spaciousness on the core track of DTS, than with the Lossless extensions included?

Something is being overlooked here.

I have found a bug in the DD TRU-HD encoder that under certain circumstances it's not exactly bit for bit. It only affects the surrounds and does not degrade the signal one bit, but it does make the file larger in size and the peak bit-rate higher than it needs to be.

Dolby is currently working on a fix for this.

It won't affect the consumer really, just the people mastering the audio and authoring the discs (IF they notice it).

Roogs

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Author and link, please. On this particular topic (DD and dialnorm), there has been a great deal of misinformation masquerading as expertise.

M.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Thanks, Paul. I thought so.

Until and unless Mr. Boulet supplies a link to this alleged admission by Roger Dressler, I would not take it as gospel. And I would want to know how much (if any) was directly from Dressler and how much was extrapolated from what he said (a phrase such as "just like running your audio data through a sampling rate converter or noise-shaping filter would re-write data" leaves room for all sorts of conceptual slippage).

Adam Barratt and Cees Alons addressed this argument in another thread where it was made about dialnorm and Dolby TrueHD:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...ml#post3280031

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks