What's new

Diagnosis: Murder in September (1 Viewer)

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Both DavisDVD and TVShowsonDVD are reporting that this Dick Van Dyke series is coming to DVD in September. Being a big fan of the show, I am pleased but sill quite shocked that this show, which probably skews older demographically, is being released. I'm also surprised that this was released ahead of Matlock. Maybe it's because S1 of D:M has Scott Baio who can probably pull in the under 60 crowd. :D

Anyway, I hope this does well so that further seasons will come out. I personally enjoy the later seasons with Charlie Schlatter and Victoria Rowell the best.

Steve

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Thanks Gord!

Bummer about the movie and pilot not being included. That doesn't bode well for Matlock either since many of that show's episodes were 2 hour movies. I suppose if this set does well it may be included later.

Either way, I'm buying this set enthusiastically. DM was one show that I thought got better and better as the years wore on so hopefully we'll see multiple seasons released.

Great cover shot...Victoria Rowell is hot!

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
She was in the original movie playing the part that Victoria Rowelll played once it became a series.

Incidentally, any Jake and the Fatman fans here? DM apparently started off as an episode of that series although I must have missed that episode as I don't recall seeing it.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I can't imagine that CBS/Paramount sold many sets of this to youngsters like me :), but being a big fan I bought it and have been thoroughly enjoying it the past week. The show appears to have been videotaped rather than filmed so it doesn't look as sharp as Perry Mason, which pre-dates it by 40 years. Still, it looks very good and the image is quite clean. The entertainment value is very high because of the appeal of the cast and entertaining scripts.

No English subtitles, but there are closed captions (which don't do me any good over a progressive signal).

I would buy future seasons so hopefully there are enough fans out there to keep releases coming and maybe spur CBS into releasing Matlock.

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
I think Diagnosis Murder might have been made the same way as Star Trek: Next Gen - shot on film, then postproduction on video.

FloydH

Auditioning
Real Name
Floyd
Steve...O: I totally agree: I love this show and also have been enjoying the set. I have almost every episode of the eight seasons taped on VHS but it is nice to have them on DVD and in chronological order. The first season was especially strong in its scripting, I thought. One thing I found humorous was that, in the pilot episode (which was really a "Jake and the Fatman" episode) someone asks Dr. Sloan if he has any children and he replies, "No". I remember reading that when the network asked Dick Van Dyke to do the series, that he agreed on the condition that his son Barry play his son in the series. So, they must have created the part for him.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.