What's new

Details on upcoming 'Silent Night, Deadly Night'/'Halloween' DVDs (1 Viewer)

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
From http://www.fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=983 :

Felsher also confirmed that Anchor Bay has snagged the audio commentary from Criterion’s HALLOWEEN laserdisc to use on its two-disc 25th Anniversary Edition, streeting August 5, which will boast a new high-definition transfer. The second disc will feature an hour-long documentary (an expansion of AMC’s BACKSTORY program about the film) and other extras.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
If they have any sense of humor at all they'll include the TV commercials that scarred some kids for life, as well as the news stories about it- of course these just made me want to see the film even more! :D

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I guess I'm kind of happy...but I've got so much damn money invested in this film that I don't know if I can afford it.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Very cool all around. I won't be ditching my Halloween Criterion CAV disc, as the isolated score is nice to have. Plus, it's perfect for the Carpenter autograph I hope to get eventually. :)

As for Silent Night, Deadly Night, the first film is a nice suprise, since only Part 2 had been announced previously. I'd love to see a follow-up 2-pack of Parts 3 and 4, since they were each had worthwhile directors at the helm (Monte Hellman and Brian Yuzna, respectively).

DJ

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Anchor Bay also put up new info on Dead Heat
Plus, I read over at DVD Drive-in that a NEW EXTENDED CUT of Wicker Man is in the works.

DEAD HEAT - January 2004

Treat Williams and Joe Piscopo star in this horror comedy from director Mark Goldblatt (THE PUNISHER). A tale of re-animated cops and eternal life, this film is well-known for having multiple sequences deleted before its original 1988 theatrical release. We are currently working with director Mark Goldblatt to feature deleted scenes, trimmed gore FX and other materials to our upcoming DVD release. Expect additonal features to be announced as well. Closed Captioned for the Hearing Impaired.

Jussi Tarvainen

Second Unit
A new Wicker Man? A part of me is hopeful, and a part of me curses the seemingly never-ending cycle of re-release hell. (I just bought the better R2 release a few months ago.)

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
I have an inkling it's going to be just the same master (patched together from an interpositive and a 1" analog master), but possibly with the R2 commentary track.

Criterion are, at last, relinquishing their grip on their laserdisc supplements - this from Jon Mulvaney (not sent to me, but someone over at the Criterion boards):

Criterion has made a deal with New Line granting access to our materials for certain titles. We have no idea, however, what Image has licensed or what they will be using. It is very possible that the BODIES, REST AND MOTION DVD will include Criterion-produced content. Sorry I can't be more specific.

Best,
JM
Short Cuts, Crash, Damage and Menace II Society, anyone?

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Criterion are, at last, relinquishing their grip on their laserdisc supplements
This has been happening for quite a while. Criterion has been licensing out LD supplements to Anchor Bay for use in R2 for a couple of years already. Plus, Columbia licensed Criterion's Monty Python and the Holy Grail LD commentary a year and a half ago for the R1 SE DVD.

DJ

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
The second disc will feature an hour-long documentary (an expansion of AMC’s BACKSTORY program about the film)
How very, very cool! I can finally delete this from my PVR and free up some much needed space.

Oh yeah, the commentary is cool too, but since I've owned the Criterion LD since its release, I've heard it enough. Still, it's great for the rest of the unwashed. ;)

-Lyle J.P.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Is the documentary from the 2 Disc Hologram version the AMC Documentrary?

If not I wont rebuy becuase that documentary is really good.

I usually dont have any interest in stills on DVDs but I liked the ones on the 2 Disc Limited Edition.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know if the new "Halloween" will include the option to watch the "Television" version via branching, or will, at least, the added scenes be available as extras. It wouldn't make much sense to have a 2 disc edition and not include at least one of those options

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

It does if Anchor Bay plans to release yet another version with the TV cut in addition to the new transfer and doc.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I hope A.B. Does not do this as the extras that we know about (Commentary, Documentary) seem a bit slim for a 2 disc edition. Since Halloween is fairly short, you would think you could get all that on one disc. I hope they are not planning on wasting space on a P&S version which is USELESS. Seeing is how Carpenter is such a cowboy of the Panavision Process and Hates P&S, I wonder why there are at least a few of his movies that have P&S versions on the DVD. I'm surprised he would allow it. I guess he has no say in the matter. So if A.B. cannot provide the extra footage via branching, on the second disc like before, or at the very least as supplements, I'll be a little dissapointed.

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc

The extended cut of "Wicker Man" was only ever available as part of their 2-disc limited edition wooden box set. They issued the cut version disc separately at the same time as a stand-alone DVD. So this stand-alone "extended" version (which was announced a long time ago) could just be the same disc that was in the 2-disc limited set - but now available individually. Anchor Bay did the same thing with the "Halloween" tv version, I believe.

I agree, it would be nice if they added something like the region 2 commentary, though. But I have a feeling they'll wait and save that for their 4th release of this title.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks