What's new

Designing a baffle step filter question. (1 Viewer)

Mark_E_Smith

Second Unit
I think I am getting a handle on this baffle step concept. Now I want to be able to design a filter for the problem what I dont understand is;
1 do you include the compensation inductor in the total inductor need for the crossover

2 do you include the bypass resistor for the resistance total in the driver circuit for calculating the driver load when designing the crossover?

3 or is it just an add on circuit to the existing crossover?

Does this make sense?

Chris Carswell

Supporting Actor
Mark,
I wish I could help you but I'm usually the one to ask YOU for help :)
Someone has got to be able to answer this one......

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
For now, treat it like a switch, where the BSC inductor either allows the signal through at low frequencies near full strength, and at higher bass frequencies, the inductor looks like an "open condition" or large resistance and that pushes the the signal to be routed to the resistor hooked up in parallel, which acts to lower the output of the signal, thus provide the correction to level out the bass frequencies to due to the baffle step.
So, design the filter without taking into account the BSC for now, listen to it, and make sure it produces the acoustic slope desired. If not, experiment.
With fancy modelling software, you can ask the program to incorporate the BSC in the filter elements.
I've been having some fun playing with SPL trace (to produce FRD and ZMA files (frequency Response, and Impedance), and Audua's SpeakerWorkshop, both free software that helps in modelling crossover filter effects on the response.
Link Removed
http://www.pvconsultants.com/audio/frdgroup.htm

Mark_E_Smith

Second Unit
As soon as I get the clio up and running I will test it to see how much BS (;) ) I have. I drew out by hand the x-over and I think the bypass resistor will add to the total resistance of the woofer circuit and double or half (?)the x-over point for the woofer. but I think you are right about the inductor as it is bypassed by the resistor at its x-over. I think I answered my question. Any way the clio looks neat but I may have to go to school to learn how to use it! :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks