What's new

Denon Surround Sound Receiver AVR1601 (1 Viewer)

DonnaP

Auditioning
I have a Denon Surround Sound Receiver and one day had the radio playing via the tuner and heard a loud SNAP and the receiver shut off. Now the ON/STANDBY light continues to blink and when the power button is pressed on, the system comes on and then shuts off on its own. We have tried unplugging the wiring in the back and repluggin in, but this light still continues to blink and unit is not working. Can someone tell me what is wrong or what i have to do in order to get the receiver up and running again properly??

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
Donna,

I have the AVR-2105, though both units likely have the same protection circuitry. The symptoms you describe point to one of two scenarios. One, a fault in the speaker wiring. You said that you checked all the connections on the back of the amp, but what about at the speakers (and everywhere inbetween)? If a short had developed somewhere along the way, the amp is simply protecting itself. Possibly one of the speakers has an internal short (really dragging the bottom here)?... The other possibility is that the amp is over heating, and you simply need to improve ventillation around the unit (allow around 4" above and behind the unit to breath). Beyond that, there may be a more serious problem. Hope this helps!

DonnaP

Auditioning
Thanks, the receiver is well ventilated so I highly am doubting it is overheating. We did unplug the stereo wiring and still when the receiver is turned on, it automatically shuts itself off. what or where could the short in the speaker wire be?

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
Well, since you checked all connections - both at the amp and the speakers - the only other possibilities for a short would be either at some other point in the wire (is it running under the carpet where it could be stepped on)? It sounds as if you have checked all of this, and the posibility of a short in a speaker is a long shot. I just don't want you to go pay some tech $95/hour to tell you that nothings wrong, and the protection circuit just kicked in. Not that this matters, but how are your speaker wires connected (bare wire, banana plugs, etc)?

AlbertD

Stunt Coordinator
Derek:

I think she said that she physically unplugged the speakers from the back of the receiver, turned it on, and it still shorted out. If I got this right, Donna, you need to take it to a authorized dealer and have it repaired or buy a new one.:frowning:

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
Donna,

Albert is, unforunately, probably right. You have covered all of the obvious bases, and anything beyond that should be by someone who knows a lot more than me (not saying much, however...:) ) Unless it is something ridiculously simple, it may also be cheaper to simply replace it. Good luck!

DonnaP

Auditioning
We did physically unplug all the wiring and replug back in, including the speakers but possibly there could be some problems with the actual wire going to the speakers. This same thing happened once before, but ended up working at what we thought then was pressing a button. Not sure.

If it is not under warranty, I would say open it up and do a little cleanup before taking to a shop. May be some loose strand of wire somehow got in there.

John S

Senior HTF Member
With nothing hooked up at all will it come on and stay on? If not, time to replace it, or get it fixed.

DonnaP

Auditioning
when the power is turned on, it goes through its cycle and shuts off and the ON/STANDBY light blinks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks