What's new

Denon or Onkyo Receiver (1 Viewer)

D

DAN NEIR

I am considering upgrading my receiver because my current one(pioneer 07tx,upgraded for dts by msb tech) seems to be showing signs of an eventual probem. I was watching my dts laser of jurassic park and when the scene occured where the brontosaur comes down from eating some leaves, the sound went out. There was just static. I tried playing a dts dvd(The Mummy) and there was no sound what so ever, yet when I switched it to dolby digital the sound was there. The dts sound eventually did come back on when I turned the receiver off and then back on. But then there was an odd clicking sound. I'm pretty sure the dts chip that was installed inside may be showing the beginning signs of a problem. I am trying to decide between the onkyo 787 and the denon 3801. Both are around the same price. The difference is the onkyo has thx-ex and dts-es matrixed, the denon has dts-es discrete but no thx-ex. Does anyone have any opinions on these receivers and is there a BIG difference between matrix and discrete in terms of what you hear?

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Without a doubt, the Denon 3801 between the two. There is no real reason for THX EX IMHO except paying more money and DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 is superior. The Denon already has many of THX EX's features (including Cinema Re-EQ) plus they can be turned off or on at will. With THX EX processing it's all or nothing. You can't even turn off Re-EQ in the THX and THX EX modes, although many new DVD soundtracks have already had it applied during the mastering stage (a double shot of Re-EQ will make the audio muffled).
That is, unless you can forego a purchase and save up some money when the Outlaw Audio Model 950 pre-amp and Model 770 seven-channel amp come out.
The pre-amp will have DTS-ES Discrete 6.1/Matrix 5.1, 6.1 matrix surround, 7.1 surround, and ProLogic II, plus software upgradeability and flexible bass management. $899 retail. The seven-channel amp (made by ATI) will be $1,795 or less.
Dan
[Edited last by Dan Hitchman on July 25, 2001 at 06:26 PM]

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
....and then Denon created the 3802! :)
These Denons are great machines...you may want to go listen to one this weekend.
Jeremy

D

DAN NEIR

Is there a big difference between how ex material sounds on the onkyo 787 and the denon 3801?

Paul_Psutka

Stunt Coordinator
Wait for the new Onkyo 797!
I prefer the functionality, and the remote control of the Onkyo receivers over the Denon.
The new 797 should have all the features you want...
"The company's first two receivers to incorporate DTS ES 6.1 (Discrete, Matrix, and Neo:6) also feature THX EX and Dolby Pro Logic II. They are the THX-Select-certified 7x110-watt TX-DS898 and 6x100-watt TX-DS797, due in September at suggested retail prices of $1,500 and $999, respectively."
[Edited last by Paul_Psutka on July 26, 2001 at 07:18 PM]

Mark KU

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
What's the going rate on the 3802? I'm wobbling between this and the upcoming Onkyo 797.

MatthewJ S

Supporting Actor
Of course we all know that thx stands for "THanX for your money , here's your cute logo/rubberstamp"....I second the first part of what Dan said...as for waiting for vapor-ware, now thats another story(so is getting excited about a product that no one has heard yet)

John-D

Stunt Coordinator
quote: as for waiting for vapor-ware, now thats another story[/quote]
the 3802 was 'vapor-ware' uptil just last week!
---------------------------------
The things we own end up owning us
[Edited last by John-D on July 27, 2001 at 09:52 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks