What's new

Denon AVR-5805.........Second look:Wow! (1 Viewer)

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter

This is seen on car forums all the time. A company releases a product and everyone has a panic attack.

It seems like some people are almost suggesting Denon should NOT release this product - just because they wouldn't want it themselves.

What I am saying is that Denon made it so they can sell it, and thats OK.

Porsche has a SUV!? OMG, we need to take to the streets (thats MY attitude :D )

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Lewis:

It's all good.

My point is no matter how you cut it, this will be a good product. Might be a bit on the expensive side, but it is still good, and I think 99% of us would probably trade our current receiver/preamp/amp for this guy (as in, we wouldn't NOT want it).

However, if this was some POS with Denon on the front, then we could really start to get upset.

DanJV

Grip
I dunno....maybe a few people will buy this, but I can't help but think it's the answer to a question no one would ask.

I'm sure it's their statement piece, but there are just so many other pieces of electronics I'd put ahead of a 5805 for the same or less money. And yes, for that amount of money there's no doubt in my mind that any number of separates components would sound better.

Heck, we don't even know whether this unit sounds any better than any number of other high end AVRs currently on the market.

Geo

Stunt Coordinator
Really there's nothing you can put ahead of the 5805... at this moment.
If you want 4 HDMI/DVI inputs, where else are you going to find it?
If you want HDMI switching with multichannel audio, where else are you going to find it?
IF you want the best room EQ going (Audyssey MultEQ) where else are you going to find it?
IF you want 10 - 170watt assignable amps with the ability to bi-amp your front speakers, where else are you going to find it?
If you want the combination of iLink, Denon Link, 2 analog multichannel inputs, where else are you going to find it?

This beast is like nothing else out there right now, this monster is the future, today, and that's why Denon brought it to market.

Regards,

geo

Brian_J

Second Unit
I think the 4805 will be targeted at what the 5800 was targeted at just a few years ago. This seems to be a step above that, at least to my eyes.

Brian

peter m. wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
I agree, (assume you meant 5805 not 48)I bought the 5800 from my brother who was getting the 5803. I got the upgrade offered to bring the 5800 closer to 5803 capabilities.

Unless everything goes HDMI and componentvideo as well as optical and coax audio inputs disapear, I have a lifetime reciever. I scale all my dvd'd to 1080i with a HOLO3D and have A/B'd the results with recorded HD from my HD pvr.

The PQ is so close that until their selling HD/DVD players at Wal-Mart for $34 (in 3 years) my SDI modded Panny RP82 is great. I run 9 speakers in my Media room with a matched set of Totems (with others off) for hirez mltich music from 2 discontinued mltidisc dvd-a and sacd player which make use of the 2 sets of analogs on the Denon.

It's also awsome while watching a movie in DTS to put on the headphones and watch the face of the Denon go "DTS + DolbyH" and hear a truly amazing (and much less tiring) 5.1 simulation.

The folks at Denon are preparing for the future while taking care of the presesnt with the 5805. My room is setup for 7.1 when the software ever comes out and I have a second zone that is covered by my first mltich reciever an Onkyo 575, 5.1 in a 3.1 array.

It will be very exciting to read the reviews of the 5805. I'm glad I don't need it though.

Peter m.

Dennis_Co

Auditioning
Folks:
Thanks for your feedback. I went to my dealer yesterday (they know my configuration well); and they heavily recommended sticking w/B&K and avoid the Denon - said to forget that software upgradibility since Denon has a poor reputation for that; that B&K has a great reputation for software upgrades.

I don't want to plunk down $6000 only to be distraught in a year when I can't get my analog video signals converted in the Denon (it doesn't do that now) due to their failure to update the unit.

Yeah, I'm stuck w/the 6 boxes that I have today; but I can live with it for now. the need for the component switcher is a pain but I live with it; and the audio switcher is an even bigger pain - but in lieu of spending six grand, i'm gonna stick it out and hope for a better B&K solution.

bottom line is that I've been very happy w/B&K, admitedly i have a complicated setup at home, and I'll wait to find a better solution and save the money now.

thanks for your input, though.
dc

Miguel Stanic

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone actually own this beast?

Right now, this is as state of the art as it gets and I don't see any unit surpassing this one for at least a couple of years. They may match it in features but definitely will not be surpassed in processing power and the quality of processors, DAC's etc.

And with the room EQ, this unit will kick some major butt.

David_Rivshin

Second Unit
One thing to keep in mind is that HD-DVD and Blue-Ray are going to support new audio encoding schemes. I would imagine that in a year or two most people would be looking for a receiver to be able to decode them, especially if they are in this price class. I wouldn't be surprised if the 5805 is upgradable to new formats, but without word from Denon on the subject I wouldn't bet money on it getting upgraded in a timely manner.

This isn't to say that I wouldn't love to own a 5805, especially if one were handed to me for free. It's truly the top of it's class in features for the time being. For now I'll be relegated to just drooling over the pictures like everyone else.

-- Dave

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I think the future of HD DVD and Blue ray not as clear as their proponents are make it out to,especially that format war isn't good for anyone.I think 1-2 year is optimistic at best for any new HD formats to become mainstream.

David_Rivshin

Second Unit
The 5805 isn't mainstream either. Anyone who's shelled out for one is already part a niche market. Just so happens that that is roughly the same niche market that is likely to shell out for a 1st gen Blue-Ray or HD-DVD player. If I were in that group I would be at least slightly displeased if I couldn't pump the fancy new DTS-HD signal into my processor/receiver and have it do BM and time alignment. I'd be even more displeased if 6 months later there were receivers coming out at half the cost (or less) that could decode DTS-HD, and my flagship receiver still could not.
Would it be a disaster? No, probably not. But if it were my money I'd probably take that consideration into account. Unfortunately I couldn't afford either an 8505 or a first gen Blue-Ray or HD-DVD player, so I'll just go along happily with my trust DA5ES for a few more years until things settle down ;)

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
A year from now this receiver won't be "niche" nor the top of the line,so anyone with bucks,and want the latest will dump it and move on to the next best thing.Displeasure won't be their game.

Robert_Dufresne

Stunt Coordinator
In life there are those who enjoy the moment and there are those who sit on the fence waiting for something better, waiting, waiting.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I'll bet Denon sells a ton of these.

I can't imagine that a 5805 could not handle somebodies theater needs for a 5 to 10 year life cycle.

It will be interesting to see where pricing ends up in a year or so. Refurbished and all that.

Still beyond happy with my 4802 nearly 3 years after purchase. I'll use it till it dies most likely, and heck even then maybe get it repaired.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member

They'd only need to sell 22! :rimshot:

If only I could afford one.......

*HDMI switching. I can use a Denon 5910 super-DVD player, a HD-DVD player, a Sony Blue-Ray player, and a HD satellite DVR all with digital connections at the same time! If the HD-DVD player also upconverts DVDs I can substitute a Playstation 3!

*Will Drive a Klipsch THX-Ultra2 speaker system!

*Has a variety of sound processing options for using all 7.1 speakers with less than a 7.1 source.

Yeah, all the other features would be wasted in my dream system (which would have video projected through a Sony Qualia 004 projector BTW), but who gives a crap? This is the first time we get the 3 biggest, most important features in a single unit that costs less thana new BMW 5-series.

Now who wants to buy a kidney?

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I sat down and listened to one of these today and had to hunt down this thread.. good it came to the top..

Damn impressive. I mean -damn- impressive. More options then you could shake a stick at, powerful results.. I was just blown away with the A/B between this unit and a Meridian. The Denon more then held it's own and channel seperation was fantastic; music modes were exceptional.

While I'm not in the market for something so pricey, I could definitely invision a lot of people taking a bite.

JackS

Supporting Actor
You could look at the big Denon from a practical point of view. Buy the Denon and keep it for 5 years. Depreciation would probably put this reciever at about 1K in 2010.
This would equal about $800-1000 dollars of actual cost per annum.
Nothing particularly wrong with this since just about every thing else will depreciate at about the same rate.
If intent is to obtain a flagship, why not consider saving a few bucks and go for one of the big Pioneers, Sonys, Yamahas, Marantz etc.?
The bucks saved(semi-large) with the purchase of one of these (lesser?) least expensive receivers would allow you the option to purchase a super CD or DVD player or other accessories that the Denon will not come with thus the argument might now be " I have a top-o- the line receiver with a t-o-l you name it.
If money is no object, my argument is worthless. If money counts for anything in your HTF life, spend less on your receiver purchase and get more for the price to be paid with something else.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
The others don't quiet measure up. If money is isuue I would wait for the 4805 which retains most of what the 5805 is but with 7 channel amp instead of 10.

JackS

Supporting Actor
The others don't measure up?
I guess if it were sound quality that became the argument, then it would depend on whose measurements you were using. A never ending debate since if one were clearly superor to the others, we'd all own the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks